Is it realistic to think I can breed a pair of clownfish in a 25 gallon frag tank?

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start by saying I know nothing about breeding clownfish other then what I've read in a few threads.

I just tied in a 25 gallon frag tank to my Reefer 450 that's been running well for 3-4 years. In thinking about fish for the frag tank I had this crazy idea to try and breed a pair of clowns.

Is it realistic to think I can do that in a frag tank with the flow of a normal frag tank. Assuming I can keep up with the feeding schedule, etc. do you guys think this is something that could work if I put the time into learning how to properly breed the fish?

Possible or crazy?

Thanks in advance.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is going to be a lot of work. Managing the water quality alone is going to be tough

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a crazy idea at all. 25g is bigger than what a lot of beeeders use.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote crazy. You will likely starve your babies with that set up. The early days of post hatch you need to maintain a high concentration of rotifers and baby brine shrimp with very little water movement so that the fish can capture their food. I start mine in a 2.5 gallon and after a month I move them to a ten gallon with sponge filter. Check out YouTube for some great info on techniques to breed clowns.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case I change my answer to possible. You will want to feed the breeders well and as long as you keep an eye on water quality for your SPS, very doable. Like JS said, 25 gallon is plenty big for a breeding pair of clowns. I used to use 10 gallon tanks. Good luck

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely doable! You'll have to feed more to compensate for all the swimming they will have to do with your flow. Make sure they eat the food that you feed. Feed a varied diet. Feed at least 3x per day to satiation, more the better. You could tie in a larval tank into the frag tank if you wanted for the babies. Just keep the recirculation at a drip so you dont flush out your rotifers and phyto for greenwater. Your reef water will be plenty clean enough for the larvae. After a couple weeks turn the drip up and give your growing clowns more clean water from the reef. Cheers!

JerseyClowns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start by saying I know nothing about breeding clownfish other then what I've read in a few threads.

I just tied in a 25 gallon frag tank to my Reefer 450 that's been running well for 3-4 years. In thinking about fish for the frag tank I had this crazy idea to try and breed a pair of clowns.

Is it realistic to think I can do that in a frag tank with the flow of a normal frag tank. Assuming I can keep up with the feeding schedule, etc. do you guys think this is something that could work if I put the time into learning how to properly breed the fish?

Possible or crazy?

Thanks in advance.

I'm breeding pairs in 4-5 gallon tanks. So long as you create the proper environment/conditions and feed them well, they will spawn. Now if you're trying to breed Clarkii's or similarly large clowns, then a larger tank would be required. I've used 40-75G tanks to breed Clarkiis.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back