Is it safe to use opened live sand that has been sitting in a bucket?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought extra live sand a few weeks ago and I stored the rest of it in a black garbage bag, inside of a bucket with a top. Some water has leaked out of the bag into the bucket. But it has been kept closed with a lid the entire time. Would it be bad to use that sand to put into my cycling saltwater tank?

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your using it to help cycle your tank, you should be fine. Was this stored in a cool or warm environment? You probably have some dead bacteria etc. that was once alive in the sand however, as long as the sand was covered to minimize dust, insects pollen and anything that your water would absorb from the immediate environment, I would say to go for it.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought extra live sand a few weeks ago and I stored the rest of it in a black garbage bag, inside of a bucket with a top. Some water has leaked out of the bag into the bucket. But it has been kept closed with a lid the entire time. Would it be bad to use that sand to put into my cycling saltwater tank?

If I understand what you are explaining then it seems like some of the live stuff in the sand is no longer alive and some is probably still alive, so I don't think I would add it to a tank with fish or livestock but I don't see an issue with adding it to a tank that is in the cycling process.

Let's see if we can get some other perspectives... #reefsquad

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your using it to help cycle your tank, you should be fine. Was this stored in a cool or warm environment? You probably have some dead bacteria etc. that was once alive in the sand however, as long as the sand was covered to minimize dust, insects pollen and anything that your water would absorb from the immediate environment, I would say to go for it.
Yeah my tank is still in the cycle process but it’s getting close to being done. It was stored in my garage and it has been pretty warm where I live. Yeah I thought some would die off and some would be okay, just wasn’t sure. Yeah it was sealed really well too.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand what you are explaining then it seems like some of the live stuff in the sand is no longer alive and some is probably still alive, so I don't think I would add it to a tank with fish or livestock but I don't see an issue with adding it to a tank that is in the cycling process.

Let's see if we can get some other perspectives... #reefsquad
Okay I wasn’t sure if it would harm the cycling process or not. I do have three green chromis in my tank now though during the cycle process but it is almost done with the cycle.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay I wasn’t sure if it would harm the cycling process or not. I do have three green chromis in my tank now though during the cycle process but it is almost done with the cycle.

Hopefully others will jump in soon, but it could lengthen the cycle process. I still think I would do it now so you will have that sand to use.

Edit: You can also do a smell test on the live sand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back