OP
OP
Clown2020

Clown2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So alk dropped by another 0.3dkh to 6.4 today ca stil at 430 mg only dropped by 30 to 1320

planning to start dosing alk today as in two days I will be at or below 6dkh and from my googling coral won’t grow below 6 because calcification stops

If my math is correct a 30% water change with 11.5 dkh water will increase dkh by 3.5 which if alk bottoms out a 6 because growth stops alk will go back to 7.5 which means once a week the reef experiences a 3.5dkh swing all at once. So was thinking dose 0.6dkh for 3 days would get me to 8.2 dkh plus 3.5 from salt will take me to 11.7 then skip dosing on Sunday to let alk drop to 11.4 so is then only 0.1 below salt and dose 0.3 daily to maintain

Does this math add up, and does this rise sound too fast? I could just start dosing 0.3 daily to maintain and let the water changes raise by 3.5 each week?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose All for Reef. One dosing pump, super simple. I used to do it manually, but the Kamoer X1 Pro 2 makes it even easier.

I started with half the recommended dose daily, then tested and adjusted every 3-4 days (it's important to wait a few days with AFR). I kept upping the dose until I leveled out at 9dkh (my target).

I found that my alk was more stable, and I needed to dose a little more, once I put it on a doser and split it into 6 small doses a day.

Alk, cal, mag and trace elements in one solution is a wonderful thing. :D

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Another vote for All for Reef. On an aquarium that size it will be pretty cheap. 5ml a day is the starting dosage for a 26 gallon aquarium with small adjustment up or down to get stable Alk and the larger size powder mix makes 10 liters. That's over 5 years dosing 5ml a day for $75. LOL

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for All for Reef. On an aquarium that size it will be pretty cheap. 5ml a day is the starting dosage for a 26 gallon aquarium with small adjustment up or down to get stable Alk and the larger size powder mix makes 10 liters. That's over 5 years dosing 5ml a day for $75. LOL
Yep. My 30L holds 20g of water. I dose 6.6ml/day to hold around 9dkh.

All LPS and softies, though.

OP
OP
Clown2020

Clown2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies am learning heaps.

Have gone ahead and ordered all for reef, it certainly sounds to be the best solution for a smaller tank.

given my alk is so low what are peoples opinion of adjusting alk separately to start with?

my only concern is that I start with all for reef my ca and mg will be very high because my alk is so low or does it not work that way? And just start once the all for reef arrives.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back