Is it weird that I don't have algae?

PrisonCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the tank running for about 6 weeks now. I seeded with some existing live rock, new sand, etc.

I've done 3-4 10%-20% WCs, kept it topped off and the SG where it should be. I'm finding it odd that I don't have an algae bloom going on yet. I ran the lights at first, but about a month ago I moved the tank so it is near a window. I've kept the blinds pulled back and it is getting indirect light every day. (Window faces North, so no direct sunlight to mess with the temp.)

I figured I would have a bit more Corraline / Green / etc algae of some sort since I used mainly established water, seeded with rock, etc.

I know patience is key. I wanted to check in with you folks to see if there was something else I should be doing. I'll test the params again tonight and see where everything is at. Nitrates were a bit high last time I checked so I did a WC and let it alone after that for awhile.

I'm anxious to get some corals growing and a fish swimming around!

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is no livestock in it yet, then you have nothing in there to "feed" the algae yet. Give it some time.

OP
OP
PrisonCityReef

PrisonCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was part of what I was wondering. Should I be doing anything to spur it on though? I'm not a fan of the 'sacrificial fish' approach with a damsel or something that I have to get rid of later. I've also heard of the piece of brine shrimp dangling in the corner, but that just seems like it could cause more issues than it will solve.

However, I do want enough algae in there so my snails / hermits don't starve on me either when I get a CuC.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say start stocking it with what you want to be in the tank. Just take it slow. By the time you get a couple fish and a few corals in there you can start adding your CUC slowly. There should be a decent amount of film algae for them by then.

MrSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was running for about 6 weeks before I had any sort of algae - and then it was bryopsis. So careful of what you wish for. ;) (in my case I was lucky enough to have a starry blenny and a sleeper banded goby that mowed the bryopsis field)

Don't put in a damsel - you'll only have to try to get it out. My first fish were a firefish, a royal gramma and a pair of percs - all which are still in the tank. Find something that you would want long-term that's hardy and doesn't break the bank. Then once your water parameters are in check, go for it!

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick knock on some wood!!

Did you start with established rock? That may house enough bacteria to not cause a cycle and algae bloom.

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I start up a new tank I try and include at least 50% "old" water. By "old" I meran water that is either directly from another system or water that has been inoculated with tank water for several weeks. It seems to work for me as I haven't had a bloom with any of the tanks set up this way.

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are just lighting it with indirect light and no actual lights on top? if so, then your lack of algae isn't so odd with a low bioload. Otherwise if you have been lighting it the whole time and used some existing rock, i'd have expected something to be forming by now.

OP
OP
PrisonCityReef

PrisonCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used probably 75% of the tank's original water. I bought the tank already established. I then seeded the base rock I had with about 5 lbs of rubble from the same tank. I replaced all the substrate as well.

So I know that I've had a cycle due to the new sand and rock. I haven't bothered to test the params much because I know it is not fit for life quite yet. I figure that I'm starting to get towards the end of the cycle though, so I figured I would check in and get some of your thoughts.

Thanks!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back