Is it worth it to reuse overflows?

wlucks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m building a 210 or 220 and it came with used door so overflow pipes. They seem to be in pretty good shape if I soak them in vinegar is there a chance that I can use them again or should I just buy new? Obviously I need to buy new bulk heads, but is there a reason not to use the older stand pipes?

D50B877D-E0B8-486E-9158-10D4B9FCC464.jpeg 4D4FCED5-95E9-4B56-B60A-76FD9720389A.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m big on reuse. Save them.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saltwater does not attack pvc but debris flushing through pipe can abrade the surface over time. if you can clean the pipes and the insides end up smooth i would use them. if there are no cracks or soft areas or discoloration from high temperature the pipes should be ok. the problem i would be concerned with is rough surfaces which would give debris a place to build up.
You said 'obviously' did the bulkheads suffer damage somewhere or do you need to change them due to needing to change the pipes that are glued into them? the reason i ask is that i am not familiar with the need to replace the bulkhead unless it is damaged. the gaskets are available which i would replace.

OP
OP
wlucks

wlucks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saltwater does not attack pvc but debris flushing through pipe can abrade the surface over time. if you can clean the pipes and the insides end up smooth i would use them. if there are no cracks or soft areas or discoloration from high temperature the pipes should be ok. the problem i would be concerned with is rough surfaces which would give debris a place to build up.
You said 'obviously' did the bulkheads suffer damage somewhere or do you need to change them due to needing to change the pipes that are glued into them? the reason i ask is that i am not familiar with the need to replace the bulkhead unless it is damaged. the gaskets are available which i would replace.
Yeah they have pipe glued into the bulkheads.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the durso overflow is very good. the height is usually the factor to be determined. what i am seeing, correct me if i am wrong, are two durso drains with return pipes hiding under them. the bulkheads are thread down on the bottom of the tank with glued pvc outside the tank. the stand pipes slip into the bulkheads and the top slips onto the standpipes. the 3/4 return pipes bring the sump water up to some sort of nozzle?

OP
OP
wlucks

wlucks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the durso overflow is very good. the height is usually the factor to be determined. what i am seeing, correct me if i am wrong, are two durso drains with return pipes hiding under them. the bulkheads are thread down on the bottom of the tank with glued pvc outside the tank. the stand pipes slip into the bulkheads and the top slips onto the standpipes. the 3/4 return pipes bring the sump water up to some sort of nozzle?
To my knowledge it is a complete set up however I’m going to get new bulkhead because they glued PVC into the bulkheads and then just cut them off when they broke down the plumbing. My only worry is any rough spots in the pipes would allow things to grow more easily and if it’s even worth keeping. But I think I’m going to give them a vinegar bath and see how they clean up

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back