Is Krylon fusion all in one aquarium safe?

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard people say Krylon fusion works . But when I looked it up locally I found all in one. Is this the same?

Krylon FUSION ALL-IN-ONE

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-FUS...Spray-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-12/1000460293

e6b500c45ab5f55577b199587292e658.jpg

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have painted many backs of tanks on the outer glass with it.

This would be not only to paint the back of the tank but also a pvc plug and pipe black that I couldn’t get in that color. I want to paint it black since they will be in the tank.

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Krylon (sourced from the webz),

Thank you for contacting Krylon.

Unfortunately, we do not recommend any of our products to be applied below the water line. None of our products are immersion-rated or waterproof. Our products may last for a time under water, but there is no guarantee as to how long the will hold up.

Additionally, we have nothing that is FDA approved, which is important in terms of ingestion. Our products may harm the aquarium life.

I wish you the best of success with your search for a compatible product. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Daniel
Krylon Product Support

Black "furniture grade" PVC is pretty easy to find.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah piping is not a problem —- issue is the plug [emoji29]

What about a thread on cap for the back of the bulkhead (nothing visible inside except for the hole)? Or, a black furniture grade cap on the inside attached with a short section of PVC that is just long enough for attaching the cap?

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a thread on cap for the back of the bulkhead (nothing visible inside except for the hole)? Or, a black furniture grade cap on the inside attached with a short section of PVC that is just long enough for attaching the cap?

Hmm I actually found a post on RC that said several people have used Krylon and it’s fine - but not sure if this type is the same one they are using. Something about bonding to the molecular level to plastics and that makes it safe.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t sell black pvc plugs. I couldn’t find black ones anywhere for 1 1/2”. I had to use a plug to plug up holes on an overflow holes that aren’t going to be used.
Are you looking for threaded plugs? I know where you can find 1", but not 1½". There are also ABS plastic plugs that might work. Not knowing your exact application, hard to say what will work. Here is a 1½" black ABS threaded plug.

Honestly, I have painted pipe with Krylon Fusion (not familiar with the All in One) and used it below the waterline in my sump. I let it cure for a long time though. Weeks. I had no issues. You could maybe consider painting a PVC plug with Plasti-Dip coating. As per their FAQs on their web site - "Plasti Dip does not contain any heavy metals, and when completely dry, is considered harmless." Now that was not in response to a reefing inquiry, but to a question if it was safe to use on a baby's toy. Whether it will stick to PVC under water, I don't know. Just throwing out the idea. Maybe someone else has tried it?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 62 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%
Back