Is lifereef really the best skimmer?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS would not have included Lifereef products as they are only sold on his web site. There are no resellers I believe. He makes only what he has orders booked for.

Doesn’t mean they couldn’t acquire one to test (though perhaps permission is required from the manufacturer - not sure), though I appreciate there’d be little gained by BRS to include brands they don’t carry. In some ways, that’s been my issue with their comparison tests.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who run a lifereef , when it restarts after maintenance or whatever does if overflow without turning the flow down till settled? My RO obsolete external skimmer will overflow the cup upon restarting. I have to turn the flow volume down till the foam settles and then turn flow back up. This is a pain! I use a skimmate locker which shuts down the skimmer once full and to restart it requires turning flow down else I get about a 1/4 full locker right away before things get settled down.
Thanks, Jim

U

User1

View Badges
For those who run a lifereef , when it restarts after maintenance or whatever does if overflow without turning the flow down till settled? My RO obsolete external skimmer will overflow the cup upon restarting. I have to turn the flow volume down till the foam settles and then turn flow back up. This is a pain! I use a skimmate locker which shuts down the skimmer once full and to restart it requires turning flow down else I get about a 1/4 full locker right away before things get settled down.
Thanks, Jim

No, I've not had that issue. Only time I have overflow is when I am stupid and leave the skimmer on but turned off return pumps. This changes the sump water height and thus my issue. I have not adjusted it to be honest in a very long time.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Jim

I haven’t had any issues with restarts and mine is running as an external skimmer.

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks for the information. Am considering getting one for my 300 system. Tired of playing with this thing to get good skimmate and not overflowing.

If you are thinking about one shoot Jeff a email or call. He will take the time to answer any questions without trying to sell you anything. Trust me (I know, you don't know me) but he is a stand up guy. I bought a skimmer back in 2000 that I had on my 100 gallon. I spoke to him back then and he said look, you can buy a larger skimmer this way if you do upgrade it will still work up to about 250 - 300 gallon.

Last year I unboxed the same skimmer to use on my 210 gallon. I reached out to Jeff, he called me, and said look - you don't need to buy a new one. Nothing has changed other than I included a drain plug/valve on the collection cup and mine it was a option.

He could have sold me a new one but didn't and told me why. Pretty classy. I'm sure others would but just saying that he is a nice person. If you have questions on the skimmer or just in general may help with your decision.

Best of luck regardless.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are thinking about one shoot Jeff a email or call. He will take the time to answer any questions without trying to sell you anything. Trust me (I know, you don't know me) but he is a stand up guy. I bought a skimmer back in 2000 that I had on my 100 gallon. I spoke to him back then and he said look, you can buy a larger skimmer this way if you do upgrade it will still work up to about 250 - 300 gallon.

Last year I unboxed the same skimmer to use on my 210 gallon. I reached out to Jeff, he called me, and said look - you don't need to buy a new one. Nothing has changed other than I included a drain plug/valve on the collection cup and mine it was a option.

He could have sold me a new one but didn't and told me why. Pretty classy. I'm sure others would but just saying that he is a nice person. If you have questions on the skimmer or just in general may help with your decision.

Best of luck regardless.

I remember spending HOURS on the phone with Jeff talking about every aspect of the build he was doing for me. More true words were never spoken, he really is a stand up guy and knows his stuff.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. Am considering getting one for my 300 system. Tired of playing with this thing to get good skimmate and not overflowing.

My setup is setup externally with following equipment:
SVS3-36 External (9x12, 400-600 gal, 1100 GPH min)
The Mazzei Venturi (upgrade)
Lifereef 8” Collection Cup
Reef Octopus 6" Waste Collector with Auto Shut Off
BlueLine 40HDX - 1270 GPH

Skimmer Working4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

rknapp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Jim
Been running all LifeReef gear (sump, skimmer, CA reactor) for about the past 15 years. No issues with restarts and overflows on the skimmer. Agree with elevated sump water levels affecting it, also at times changing some of my filter pads. But I cured that issue with changing them at the same time I introduce my water change new water, which seems to have the opposite effect of temporarily suppressing the skimmer foam. In all that time if I tweak anything about it 2x per year its a lot. I think I remember slight tweaks between summer and winter flow rates as tank runs hotter and a bit more skimmer output in summer. Other than that it is a set it and forget it, clean the skimmer output cup once a week for me.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this skimmer, Reef Octopus 150-sss Really, the most maintenance free skimmer I've ever owned

U

User1

View Badges

Skimmer Working4.jpg

Nice skimmer. That body and foam - makes my small 24" / original model look like a toy.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask which Part Number is the Mazzei Injector
It should be marked on there somewhere

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the part number but it’s readily available on his website- $109 for the injector.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely the same however you will need a few parts to complete it. Jeff doesn't do any weird stuff to it but he does include the caps and service plugs, etc.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure Jeff uses a 1” male threaded 978 Mazzei injector. I recall reading that in the big Lifereef thread over on RC.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back