is live aquaria bad

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i ordered a pygmy wrasse from live aquaria plus a porcelain crab and i’m just wondering and looking at other posts is my wrasse not gonna show up because i’m seeing a lot of posts of stuff not arriving or being dead or missing.
i’m just wondering if people have any experience with this because i’m kinda getting worried now

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered from them routinely before and after the petco ownership (was out the hobby during that period). Have ordered numerous divers den and non divers den coral, crustaceans and fish over the last 6 months from Wisconsin, California and Florida (ORA) facilities and not ONCE have I received something dead, late, not healthy or not what I ordered and most of this during Covid hysteria and delays. The worse they've done and this was two weeks ago was I ordered 5 cerith snails, thought I got 6 but the sixth one was a small hermit in a cerith snail shell.

20201105_163249.jpg

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered from them routinely before and after the petco ownership (was out the hobby during that period). Have ordered numerous divers den and non divers den coral, crustaceans and fish over the last 6 months from Wisconsin, California and Florida (ORA) facilities and not ONCE have I received something dead, late, not healthy or not what I ordered and most of this during Covid hysteria and delays. The worse they've done and this was two weeks ago was I ordered 5 cerith snails, thought I got 6 but the sixth one was a small hermit in a cerith snail shell.

20201105_163249.jpg
ok that makes me feel better tbh and i didn’t know they had a petco ownership

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok that makes me feel better tbh and i didn’t know they had a petco ownership

Petco bought live aquaria and Smith &Foster (the dry goods division of the company at the time) then sold live aquaria back to a group that apparently was involved with it prior to petco buying it. Petco killed off the Smith &Foster brand (which I probably discovered before live aquaria). I only brought that up because after some forum researching it seems it was during that Petco era that they had some issues like you spoke of.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco bought live aquaria and Smith &Foster (the dry goods division of the company at the time) then sold live aquaria back to a group that apparently was involved with it prior to petco buying it. Petco killed off the Smith &Foster brand (which I probably discovered before live aquaria). I only brought that up because after some forum researching it seems it was during that Petco era that they had some issues like you spoke of.
oh ok so i should be ok with receiving my wrasse and porcelain crab because it’s not so much about money but it was more about finally finding that specific wrasse that i like and i kinda spent 150 some dollars on it

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with LA: Florida facility, good stuff, no issues. My CA Facility experience? Terrible. Fish was DOA and cold on arrival. They put an ICE pack when it was coming from and going to a place wher the ambient outside temperature was 74 degrees. I can't imagine cargo planes being 90 degrees either. It's just a incredibly stupid mistake to make to the point that I doubt I'll ever buy from them. If you can be assured it's coming from anywhere but CA, you're probably ok.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with LA: Florida facility, good stuff, no issues. My CA Facility experience? Terrible. Fish was DOA and cold on arrival. They put an ICE pack when it was coming from and going to a place wher the ambient outside temperature was 74 degrees. I can't imagine cargo planes being 90 degrees either. It's just a incredibly stupid mistake to make to the point that I doubt I'll ever buy from them. If you can be assured it's coming from anywhere but CA, you're probably ok.
ok is there a way to ask about that and i’m sorry and your fish

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most places, live animals are going through a lot of stress being shipped. Anything can happen, but like Live Aquarid and other places, they have guarantees. I have both good success and not so good success with them but that does not keep me from continuing my business

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most places, live animals are going through a lot of stress being shipped. Anything can happen, but like Live Aquarid and other places, they have guarantees. I have both good success and not so good success with them but that does not keep me from continuing my business
In their defense they did store credit it. I've used them a few times in the past and it was fine. Just the cold pack in a shipment where there was absolutely no need just screamed of laziness. Like I said, their other facilities were fine but that one.. geez.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In their defense they did store credit it. I've used them a few times in the past and it was fine. Just the cold pack in a shipment where there was absolutely no need just screamed of laziness. Like I said, their other facilities were fine but that one.. geez.

I was not saying or talking bad against them. geez.

brokeaquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i ordered a pygmy wrasse from live aquaria plus a porcelain crab and i’m just wondering and looking at other posts is my wrasse not gonna show up because i’m seeing a lot of posts of stuff not arriving or being dead or missing.
i’m just wondering if people have any experience with this because i’m kinda getting worried now
ive had good experiences with them buying both live fish and corals :)

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought from LA and DD numerous times. For the most part, I had a very good outcome. I did have a couple of fish DOA but I received credit. I have also asked for and received a credit to my CC.

The DD facility in Wisconsin has a better track record for me. And it's nice seeing the actual specimen you will receive.

Back