is live rock a good place for zoas?

sheepersheep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i have some rock in my tank similar to the attached picture and was wondering if it fine for zoas to be put onto them, they just seem very bumpy and hole-y? I wasn't sure of this is a fine rock to put zoas on

1709320631771.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, zoas love to grow on live rock. however, remember that when zoas are happy, they will spread rapidly. for that reason, I recommend placing them on a smaller isolated rock, unless it's your desire to have your rockscape overtaken by zoas.

OP
OP
S

sheepersheep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, zoas love to grow on live rock. however, remember that when zoas are happy, they will spread rapidly. for that reason, I recommend placing them on a smaller isolated rock, unless it's your desire to have your rockscape overtaken by zoas.
they wont overtake where other corals are at though right? cuz i plan on putting a frogspawn or hammer or something on the top part of the rocks while zoas of different types surround it

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they wont overtake where other corals are at though right? cuz i plan on putting a frogspawn or hammer or something on the top part of the rocks while zoas of different types surround it
they may or may not! if you want to be safe, place them in their own area

NorCalReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some success creating shaded areas that keep zoas isolated and away from healthy SPS. Sometimes I’ll even use acans as a buffer as zoas tend to not overtake them. But it’s not a perfect science. Some zoa species are just invasive and will take over.

Of course, every once and a while, a polyp will separate from the main colony and surprise me on the rock work.

OP
OP
S

sheepersheep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they may or may not! if you want to be safe, place them in their own area
the thing though is I don't really have a separate rock to put them on, my large middle rock formation is the only bare one. my other island rocks have GSP and xenia on them. I'm just hoping the zoas dont take over a frogspawn if i put on right on the top

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thing though is I don't really have a separate rock to put them on, my large middle rock formation is the only bare one. my other island rocks have GSP and xenia on them. I'm just hoping the zoas dont take over a frogspawn if i put on right on the top
My zoas are on a rock that is leaned up against the main tock structure. There isn't anything at the top yet. Eventually I might put something like a plating monti so they can't grow and higher.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the coral they will smother it and if you dont like the coral they will leave it alone.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I place them around branching frogspawns and hammers. They can grow around them, and if they start getting close you can always move them off the rock. ( scape them, kalkwasser paste, aiptasia X )It happens very slow. Its not like you wake up one morning and you have zoanthids wall to wall smothering everything

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back