Is mag 12 pump overkill for 80 gal rimless

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joe G
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Joe G

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2014
Messages
452
Reaction score
164
Location
Miami FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my new tank, and my return feels a lil but to strong for the tank.
I want high turn over rate, but don't wanna fish to get blasted around.

Witch mag pump would be best for me to use
48*24*16 tank
 
I use an Eheim 1262 on my 16"deep rimless, and it needs to be gate valved. You want about 600 GPH for a tank that deep or you risk toilet bowl syndrome IMHO.
 
I'm running a mag 9 on my 60 gallon and it's throttled down to match my eshopps overflow ~700 GPH. I would think a mag 12 throttles down would work with some room to grow in the future.
 
Thanks guys .
I guess I need to get a valve to slow it down a bit
 
Thanks guys .
I guess I need to get a valve to slow it down a bit

I would always have a ball valve on the return pump. Best place to adjust your flow to match your overflow that I know of...
 
You could always build a manifold so you can also use the mag 12 to power other things such as a reactor, scrubber... etc,
 
+ 1 on the manifold. You could always dump your extra water pressure back into a slow spot of your sump. The minute you downsize the pump you will end up wanting to add something.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new