Is MicroBacter7 algaecide?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clean version touts cleaning surfaces s

Yeah, that one I've never used. I will say I've used MB7 very liberally and have not seen any impacts to my tank. I add 1ML per gallon to my tank after every water change. With that liberal of a dose an algeacide would wreck my tank...

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.
I screened every bacterial product (including MB7, MB Clean) I could get my hands on when looking at Vibrant.
None other than Vibrant looked similar to the algaecide Algaefix.
I haven't seen anything (but vibrant) without the clearly labeled ingredient look like it had a polyquat algaecide.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see here.

I wanted to cast the net a little wider and see if there is any other bacterial products I could grab that might give the same result - maybe help understand a false positive or show that Vibrant is not unique among "bacterial" labeled products in containing something that looks like QAC.

(each product was diluted 1/10 with tank water to eliminate extreme pHs that might exist in the bottles)
Bac_Products.jpg

The apparent QAC were detected in AlgaeFix (1) and Vibrant (12) and no others. Here's the list of products:
1 AlgaeFix Marine
2 Waste Away
3 MicroBacter 7
4 MicroBacter Clean
5 Seachem Pristine
6 Fritz Zyme 460
7 Bacto Therapy, Fauna Marin
8 BioSpira (nitrifier)
9 One and Only (nitrifier)
10 EcoBalance, Dr Tim
11 Refresh, Dr Tim
12 Vibrant

Why is the method for detecting quaternary ammonium compounds seemingly detecting it in Vibrant (very effective at kiling algae) just like it detects it in AlgaeFix, but finds it no other claimed bacterial product?

Anyone got another suggestion for a bacterial product that might either contain QAC, or have a similar false-positive causing potential?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back