Is my 20g overstocked?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 20g growout system has 4 fish in it currently all under 2 inches in size each. I broke down a tank and ended up moving one fish into the growout with my other fish.
The stocking is
2 percula clowns 1 inch each
1 lawn mower blenny 1.5 inches
1 tailspot blenny 1.5 inches
Skunk cleaner shrimp
No fighting or anything so I'm not worried about that. My sand isnt dirty from algae or anything.
I am running a protein skimmer and refugium on the tank. I want what's best for the fish so I dont want to have a tank that's considered over packed

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi you could throw another cleaner shrimp in to pair,go with larger than you have,so yours does not kill

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its overstocked. I would be a little worried about having a tailspot with a lawnmower though. Might get territorial
I accidentally said lawnmower it's a scooter blenny and a tailspot blenny. They get along pretty well because the scooter stays at the bottom and the tailspot open swims

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its overstocked. I would be a little worried about having a tailspot with a lawnmower though. Might get territorial

Agreed, particularly as the LMB grows as it is likely to get big and grumpy.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, no lawnmower blenny. Scooter instead.

You are not overstocked, but it will be a challenge keeping a scooter blenny (dragonette) in a 20 gallon.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey is the scooter still alive? Curious I am yet to find someone keeping a scooter in a 20gallon for over a couple years.
I recommend finding one at a local fish store as they can give you more details on the fish like "how long it's been there", "is it eating", "what is it eating". If at all possible ask to see them feed it. If you can find one that eats frozen it will do quite well in a 20 gallon. Otherwise you can do copepods, but keeping the population up can be kind of a pain, however I know many people that do it. Heck I even had a baby red ruby dragonet in a 10 gallon for a while with no issues

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%

Back