Is my Anemone healthy?

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago i bought my first long tentacle anemone. I placed it on top of all the LR and it placed its “foot” or “stem” into the crevice of the rock and has stayed ever since (which i guess is a good thing). I will post a pic/video below. Does it look healthy? A few of the tentacles are deflated and im not sure if its normal or not.

347E9B38-D7AA-4315-B6E1-62A04019C267.jpeg BB695039-30E5-4896-B4D3-712A60099CB7.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    16.1 MB
OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago i bought my first long tentacle anemone. I placed it on top of all the LR and it placed its “foot” or “stem” into the crevice of the rock and has stayed ever since (which i guess is a good thing). I will post a pic/video below. Does it look healthy? A few of the tentacles are deflated and im not sure if its normal or not.

347E9B38-D7AA-4315-B6E1-62A04019C267.jpeg BB695039-30E5-4896-B4D3-712A60099CB7.jpeg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very healthy to me. Let it get used to it's new surroundings and DON'T feed it for a couple of weeks.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very healthy to me. Let it get used to it's new surroundings and DON'T feed it for a couple of weeks.
Why wouldn’t you feed right away? Just curious...

I think it’s doing good and it seems to be fine, if it’s picked a spot to settle in, it’s probably happy there!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn’t you feed right away? Just curious...

I think it’s doing good and it seems to be fine, if it’s picked a spot to settle in, it’s probably happy there!
Nems do not have to be fed. Feeding when new can upset them. Now don’t get me wrong, feeding is ok, but if the piece is too big, it cannot ingest it as far as it wants, it will move.

If you do feed, make sure it is small and chopped up nicely. But my suggestion is to wait a few weeks and let the nem adjust.

As for the tentacles, a few deflated is not an issue. The whole nem repeatedly, yes. That portion may not like the flow, need to get used to or whatever.

OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read to feed it twice a week. I have already fed it once this week with brine shrimp so i guess i wont feed it again for a while. What is the reasoning behind not feeding for a while?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when first added to a tank they're stressed already and feeding it seems to stress them more. In the past, when one of mine split and I tried to feed it, it would go deep into hiding in the rocks. So I stopped feeding the little ones and they seem to find a spot and start growing then I feed them. Btw, I started with 2 now have 16+

Attachments

• main nems.JPG
    main nems.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 108
OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 5 minutes after i posted this, the whole anemone closed up. This is the first time it has happened. Normal or should i be worried?

Attachments

• 1601DAC4-D452-4449-AA6D-DDC620C446C2.jpeg
    1601DAC4-D452-4449-AA6D-DDC620C446C2.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 110

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange to see a LTA be on a rock. Do you have sand? Usually they are sand dwelling.

Anyway, it is normal for anemones to close up at times and expand out too. Just keep an eye on the mouth. If gapes too long, can be a sign to maybe treat.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine are on a rock and as long as they are getting adequate light and flow, feed them 2-3X per week and enjoy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Just not heard that before from experienced keepers. Thanks for that information! Learn something new every day!

Good luck OP. Looks like a nice size anemone.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 5 minutes after i posted this, the whole anemone closed up. This is the first time it has happened. Normal or should i be worried?
Welcome to the world of nems. They do all kinds of weird stuff, so don't be alarmed - you'll get used to it (after awhile...lol) It's just testing your nerves right now. Things like small temp or flow changes can cause them to change shape, retract, move or on the "special occasion" tear themselves in half (split) Relax and enjoy your new nem - in a year from now you'll have stories that any non reefer will look at you like what the heck?

OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the world of nems. They do all kinds of weird stuff, so don't be alarmed - you'll get used to it (after awhile...lol) It's just testing your nerves right now. Things like small temp or flow changes can cause them to change shape, retract, move or on the "special occasion" tear themselves in half (split) Relax and enjoy your new nem - in a year from now you'll have stories that any non reefer will look at you like what the heck?
Im looking forward to it . Btw it opened back up.

OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange to see a LTA be on a rock. Do you have sand? Usually they are sand dwelling.

Anyway, it is normal for anemones to close up at times and expand out too. Just keep an eye on the mouth. If gapes too long, can be a sign to maybe treat.
Its all good now, he opened back up. When i first got him i placed him on that rock and expected him to move somewhere else (like the sand) but he planted his foot/stem in the crevices of the rock so i guess he liked where i put him.

GotCrabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering how pulsing/changing power head profiles impact anemone. Example: Apex WAV

While I’m at it, if my temps migrate from 76 in winter to 81 ish in Summer...thoughts?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seem to like a moderate amount of flow. Re: temp mine go through 78 - to 82 degrees pretty easily without stress. I try to keep it in the 78-79deg area.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
News open and close. They also blow up like a balloon and then deflate every now and then when placed in a new tank. They expell old stored water with the new. Completely normal. I'm curious about the rock though. My long tentacles prefer to bury in the sand. Mine also prefer a gentler flow.

OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering how pulsing/changing power head profiles impact anemone. Example: Apex WAV

While I’m at it, if my temps migrate from 76 in winter to 81 ish in Summer...thoughts?
“The upper temperature threshold for most corals is about 88 degrees but most can withstand temp into the lower 90's for short periods of time”(reefcentral)
The sweet spot to try and keep it in is 74-78 but it can be hard with the seasons.

OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“The upper temperature threshold for most corals is about 88 degrees but most can withstand temp into the lower 90's for short periods of time”(reefcentral)
The sweet spot to try and keep it in is 74-78 but it can be hard with the seasons.
Dont mine that post, i forgot nems are not corals . 76 to 81 is a pretty big change but if it happens slowly then it shoud be fine.

GotCrabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when first added to a tank they're stressed already and feeding it seems to stress them more. In the past, when one of mine split and I tried to feed it, it would go deep into hiding in the rocks. So I stopped feeding the little ones and they seem to find a spot and start growing then I feed them. Btw, I started with 2 now have 16+
That's a sweet looking cluster of nems. Nice.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back