Is my anemone ok??

Endgame_HS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got a massive beautiful pink color BTA 2 days ago in my 135g tank. I have 2x mp40 on each side.

First day he found an area on the side of my tank to hide but looked good and was fulled blossomed.

Last night I came out to get a drink and noticed he came out and was mid tank on top of a rock.. it was really awesome. I have the foam guards up on the vortechs..

Well this morning I wake up and can’t find him and finally see him buried in the back corner behind rocks.. I then notice some of his pink tentacles on my foam guard..

So I think parts of him got hit by the vortech or maybe they just got stuck on the foam I’m not sure.. water was clear ... but looking at him in the corner I saw some of his tips looked thing and scraggly and maybe chewed up..

How bad is this ? Will he die from the shock of this?

Attached is a pic when he was out last night ..

And the other is the spot he took in the first day I got.

I’m at work and try to post some of his current situation .

CF34F077-C1A0-4DA5-A8A5-1BC6BAC2AFDB.jpeg

1574CDEE-7FC3-4DE0-88A6-C48A41468716.jpeg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In time he will most likely recover. But for future use those foam guards aren't enough. They can go right through them. Try panty hose.

OP
OP
Endgame_HS

Endgame_HS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some mention panty hose, would I put right over the front and sides then put the foam over this? So now the front blade area is covered as well? How bad Would this impact the flow.

OP
OP
Endgame_HS

Endgame_HS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my wife takes some pics and he is moving out of that corner. I also had her take pic of the foam with his pieces on it..

I turned off that mp40 for now and just have my other on that’s 5 feet away .

8AB99CF6-FFFF-4015-B2CF-F875EDBE8532.jpeg

EE551124-55C1-44F4-A353-B5F368EB1E04.jpeg

DBD260A4-5DCE-42A4-96D5-ED3117C1B151.jpeg

020F40D2-C2D6-4D34-AAA2-EFE46ABC8981.jpeg

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.O does it tentacle got chopped off? Its look like its on the way out to me but lets hear from other experience Anemone keepers.

OP
OP
Endgame_HS

Endgame_HS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a couple maybe got hit but perhaps not to bad.. it’s a good sign he is moving out of that corner.

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difficult part is you need to keep the flow on so that it can find a place it likes and try to settle down, otherwise it will probably move again once you turn the flow back on. But then you also don't want to get it sucked in again. So its kind of tough if they keep detaching, but also if it continually detaching, I would say there is something wrong.

If it has not settled, or if its a new bta, I usually find a concave rock, or one with a hole that is closed off, and place the bta there, let it sink in and then place the rock in an appropriate place for the nem. Normally if you place it well enough, it will not move. If it is already attached and not really moving, I would not pull it off a rock to do this though.

Also mentioning, that rbta is bleached so be mindful of your lighting and photoacclimation with this in consideration.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks bleached. Just give him a little time to settle in. Once he finds a spot and stays for a few days try feeding him a small ammonia once or twice a week. If he starts coloring up he will probably be fine. If he starts opening his mouth often he probably is not going to make it. How old is your tank what are your parameters?

OP
OP
Endgame_HS

Endgame_HS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the exact same regarding the flow. If I turn off the powerhead it’s going to settle somewhere based on that flow then move again once his environment changes... I’ll try that pantyhose trick...

I didn’t think he looked bleached yet but maybe the stress of this made change..

As far as light he probably isn’t getting what he needs but only because he is new and been hiding?

Dizzirn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In time he will most likely recover. But for future use those foam guards aren't enough. They can go right through them. Try panty hose.

@reef lover. Can you show us a picture with pantyhose on one... I’m sure it doesn’t change the flow, but how are you securing it? Thank you for the help I’ve had several get hurt [emoji20]

OP
OP
Endgame_HS

Endgame_HS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now my wife swnt this pic.. he went up the wall and attached himself near the overflow box yet not in it..

Is that normal for them to stick upside down on the glass ??

F8EF52A5-2045-4484-910B-8265460DDB33.jpeg

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really normal, they like to have their foot hidden in a secure place, although some times they will stay on a flat surface. Guess just depends on the nem.

Since its there, I would find a rock like I mentioned before with a crevice or such feature and gently peel it off the glass and place on the rock, allowing it to go in the crevice.

Make sure you find the rock first before moving the nem.

With this most current picture, that is severely bleached, much more than I thought. What lighting did it come from, what light is your tank, photoperiod, etc. More tank details plz.

OP
OP
Endgame_HS

Endgame_HS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at work so I can’t do much, my wife is takin pics. There is no light on there , she just turned on now, I have 3 Chinese black box LED, mostly whites with small amount of blues..

I do have one rock that has a donut hole in the middle I think he would like.. how would you get him to take into that hole?

OP
OP
Endgame_HS

Endgame_HS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She said he moving down now and here is a pic with light. If I added more blues it wouldn’t look as bleached.

F5C73CCD-8972-4C5B-B4F8-07EC407D5D54.jpeg

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just plop it on the rock/hole, let it attach, and it should make its way in the hole.

Look like it is searching for flow, heading in to your overflow. The mp40 still off?

Also, I would lower the intensity of the lights if you havent already.

OP
OP
Endgame_HS

Endgame_HS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m headed home now , I’ll try and get him
On that rock.. I think with these Led boxes I can’t lower intensity directly but can add more blues etc..

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some mention panty hose, would I put right over the front and sides then put the foam over this? So now the front blade area is covered as well? How bad Would this impact the flow.
@reef lover. Can you show us a picture with pantyhose on one... I’m sure it doesn’t change the flow, but how are you securing it? Thank you for the help I’ve had several get hurt [emoji20]
You put the pantyhose over the powerhead in the same way as the foam guard covers it as in just over the sides. You need the front uncovered so it doesn't restrict the flow.

OP
OP
Endgame_HS

Endgame_HS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the pantyhose safeguard it better than that thick foam that comes with that vortech ?

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m headed home now , I’ll try and get him
On that rock.. I think with these Led boxes I can’t lower intensity directly but can add more blues etc..

I dont know. A lot of people use those, maybe there is a thread about it here? I would just reduce a bit them if thats all you can do.

The vortech foam guards can kind of suck the tentacles through and slowly rip it to pieces if you dont catch it quicky. Especially if you use them regularly (I clean mine about every other day) they will start to stretch out over time. The pantyhose would prevent the tentacles from going through into the pump but still the nem would end up flattened on the side of the vortech.

OP
OP
Endgame_HS

Endgame_HS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my tank now. I have the covers off the front because I was just cleaning and took a big center rock out of the middle because I saw some Dino looking algae that scared me..

The BTA looks better and is bloomed fully over on the side. I have both mp40s on now so I’m going to keep an eye out.

20C4BE8D-D675-4A22-87FA-6475E37D0935.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back