Is my astraea snail dead?

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

For the past few weeks my snail have keep like jumping/falling of my aqua scape and landing with there shell in the sand unable to move. I have been able to flip them back over without too much trouble but this one I really had to kind of twist with net net and maybe I jerked it around too much? It has been sitting on my sand bed for 2 days and has not moved I tried to kind of peer under the shell and see if its antenna is moving around but I see nothing. So I have a few questions is it dead if so should I take it out of my tank or wait, if it died did I kill it or did something else go wrong in my tank? Also how do I keep them from falling all the time they do it a couple times a day its very annoying.

Thanks

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was dead, it would most likely be falling out of the shell/ limp. I would place it on a rock or near the glass, and if within 5 hours it hasn’t moved, consider it dead. After this, I would remove it, because they can give off a decent amount of ammonia

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was dead, it would most likely be falling out of the shell/ limp. I would place it on a rock or near the glass, and if within 5 hours it hasn’t moved, consider it dead. After this, I would remove it, because they can give off a decent amount of ammonia
would It move within 5 hours because its day time and there nocturnal right?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said 5 hours because that should be plenty of time for it to feel comfortable and come out. When mine fall off, I hold them against the glass until they reattach (usually takes 30 seconds). If there’s no algae, it sounds like they’re running out of food and starving. How old is your tank?

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said 5 hours because that should be plenty of time for it to feel comfortable and come out. When mine fall off, I hold them against the glass until they reattach (usually takes 30 seconds). If there’s no algae, it sounds like they’re running out of food and starving. How old is your tank?
only a couple months, this is my first tank so im new and my lfs said I could feed half a cube of mysis every couple days and that would be enough and the shrimp the clowns dont eat will fall to the bottom of the tank and the sails will, is this incorrect?

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put on a rock btw I tried the glass thing but it was only for 10 seconds and it didnt attach.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it didnt like the spot on the sand or something so I moved it to its favorite rock, am I under feeding tho my tank also has 2 clowns.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to hear!! Personally, I haven’t seen snails eat mysis. I’m sure if it was sitting there they’d eat it; but I have high flow in my tank, and all of the food remains in the water column. If you need them to eat, plant-based sinking pellets might be your best bet

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to hear!! Personally, I haven’t seen snails eat mysis. I’m sure if it was sitting there they’d eat it; but I have high flow in my tank, and all of the food remains in the water column. If you need them to eat, plant-based sinking pellets might be your best bet
I have low flow just flow from my hob filter, im buying a powerhead soon so ill check out those pellets.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also only have a pair of clowns in my 16g! I love them- I feed them 3-4x a day when my schedule allows, hoping they breed. If you do this, just be sure to check your water quality regularly

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also only have a pair of clowns in my 16g! I love them- I feed them 3-4x a day when my schedule allows, hoping they breed. If you do this, just be sure to check your water quality regularly
I love em too lol, I would prefer they not breed because I don't have the skills and equipment to keep the eggs alive also I posted a form on this and came to the conclusion they are not paired up yet, I am doing half a cube every couple days because I saw the brstv video and they talked about overfeeding and stuff so thats why I decided on doing it like that, is that actually enough food or am I kind of starving them?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half a cube should be enough daily, but I feed until they stop eating. Then I just set the thawed food aside, and feed them about 4 hours later

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back