Is My Birdsnest Frag Dying?

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this thing a little over a week ago. Some stress has been showing in some corals in the tank because of a couple of mistakes I made and I'm afraid for the Birdsnest. I'm brand new to growing SPS, so I have no idea if it's looking healthy or not. Opinions?

75C51256-6D5C-41FF-86C9-ACDCC87FEA7A.jpeg

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide information about your tank, and your water parameters?

Marineland 150 gallon tall
45 gallon pro clear aquatics sump
Caulerpa in refugium section
Reef Octopus classic 150INT
x3 ViparSpectra w/ lenses removed (50% blues, 15% whites)
x2 Hydor Koralias 1500GPH

Calcium: 450ppm
Magnesium: 1350ppm
dKH: 10
pH: 8.1
Phosphate: <.25ppm (API so I don't know specifically but shows near zero)
Nitrate: 10ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Salinity (SG): 1.025
Temp (°F): 77.5

A couple of weeks ago, I made a rookie mistake and dosed carbonate instead of bicarbonate to get the pH benefits. It spiked my pH. I also added a Ritteri for my clowns and the thing kept climbing to the top so I cranked the lights up very high and very quick. Keep in mind, this was before adding the Birdsnest. The Birdsnest was added in the aftermath of doing that when everything started showing signs of stress. My frogspawn, BTA, Alveopora, and Duncans all shrank up and looked P.O.'ed. I set the lights back to where they were, switched back to bicarbonate, added carbon, dosed Prime, and did a 20% water change. All to make sure any toxins were eliminated. Frogspawn and Duncans have bounced back. The Alveopora and BTA are still shrunken up. Though the Alveopora has improved and seems like it will come back. I'm just concerned about the Birdsnest because I don't see the polyps out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A few things will cause this:
- age of tank
- light too bright
- too much flow
- alk too high or spiked . . .. Which i see you had a spike
- inadequate calcium
- bugs or flatworms
-

Recommended:

ca- 450
alk - 8-9
Mag - 1300
ammonia - .02
salinity - 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
temperature - 77-79

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things will cause this:
- age of tank
- light too bright
- too much flow
- alk too high or spiked . . .. Which i see you had a spike
- inadequate calcium
- bugs or flatworms
-

Recommended:

ca- 450
alk - 8-9
Mag - 1300
ammonia - .02
salinity - 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
temperature - 77-79

Noted. Is it dead or just mad at the world right now?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oh thank god. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Anything you would recommend doing to help them recover?
Maintain good water quality amd moderate light and water flow, and test water to assure nothing is off.
What test kit(s) are you using and also are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintain good water quality amd moderate light and water flow, and test water to assure nothing is off.
What test kit(s) are you using and also are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

API for everything, except magnesium which is Salifert. Also, yes. 4 stage RODI.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
API for everything, except magnesium which is Salifert. Also, yes. 4 stage RODI.
I askes as I susoected API wich often produces false results. I suggest taking a good water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test your water and compare with your readings.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert makes way better tests then API. If you can switch to better tests at some point. I use Hanna for ALK and PO4 and the rest Salifert brand. So far I’m getting decent results. I think it was way worth the cost vs the piece of mind.

I didn’t have luck with sps until about now- 1 year in. And still not great luck lol. I think an established system seems to be the common denominator in many posts I see about sps not doing to well. That and not enough lighting seem to be most peoples issues. I’m getting 400+ par at top of rocks and 200+ at sand. Sps always struggled. I stayed away for a long time, and not have a few that seem to be finally doing well. I think mostly the tank is more mature is what’s causing the sudden (mini) success with the sps.

Hope this helps. Take care and happy reefing.

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I askes as I susoected API wich often produces false results. I suggest taking a good water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test your water and compare with your readings.

LFS uses API as well. They tell me the same readings and everything looks fine. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert makes way better tests then API. If you can switch to better tests at some point. I use Hanna for ALK and PO4 and the rest Salifert brand. So far I’m getting decent results. I think it was way worth the cost vs the piece of mind.

I didn’t have luck with sps until about now- 1 year in. And still not great luck lol. I think an established system seems to be the common denominator in many posts I see about sps not doing to well. That and not enough lighting seem to be most peoples issues. I’m getting 400+ par at top of rocks and 200+ at sand. Sps always struggled. I stayed away for a long time, and not have a few that seem to be finally doing well. I think mostly the tank is more mature is what’s causing the sudden (mini) success with the sps.

Hope this helps. Take care and happy reefing.

I have two pieces of SPS currently. Red montipora and the yellow Birdsnest. The monti is doing great. I setup the tank in mid July. Up until now, I haven't had a single major issue. Corals were vibrant, healthy, and thriving. Then I screwed around with the lighting and carbonate at the same time and they definitely did not like that.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have two pieces of SPS currently. Red montipora and the yellow Birdsnest. The monti is doing great. I setup the tank in mid July. Up until now, I haven't had a single major issue. Corals were vibrant, healthy, and thriving. Then I screwed around with the lighting and carbonate at the same time and they definitely did not like that.
Like I said- its mad. Those changes are critical. Not sure why adjustments as the saying goes- If its' running right , why fix it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back