Is my candy cane dying

the sailfin tang

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 9, 2025
Messages
25
Reaction score
35
Location
Denmark
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that there is no light right now
20251227_094204_3CFAEE6D-821D-402C-BBCB-20C37DE4047E.png
 
Do you have any pictures of the candy cane by day when lights are on? Since you are a new member and I have no clue about your experience and I think I see diatoms, which lead me to believe you might have just bought this coral in a relatively new tank. I will try to offer some help!

By night it is normal for a lot of corals to deflate, retract, look like ****. As they go into “night-mode” and the zooxanthella can’t perform any photosynthesis. Many corals put out some tentacles and change appearance for the night to try and capture some nutrients in the water.

If you have any doubt about the appearance during the day, do not hesitate to post a picture when the coral is under your normal light schedule.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new