Is my condy anemone okay ?

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone,

I am very new to Saltwater Aquarium, my 32G bio cube is about 8 weeks old. I have three Anenome’s in my tank along with two clown fish, horseshoe crab, goby and postal shrimp/ couple of snails & star. Other two Anenmoe’s are fine and looks okay but this one last night was all fluff. Today I couldn’t find him all day thought that he moved to new location. But when I flipped the back rock found out he was closed like a ball. Then he did open up like this condition and no movement. Do I need to be worried about it?
I did water change today. After checking the perimeters. My PH was low to 7.8. My fish store guy recommended to change 5gal of water and add Marine Buffer to help with PH. Rest of the perimeters were normal but this Anemone is deflated.
Should I be worried that he is dying or is it normal for them to shrunk in a ball and look like this. Please advice.

IMG_7912.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.8 pH is low, but not low enough to worry about. Despite what your LFS said, DO NOT GO CHASING pH levels. Just keep everything else in the proper range and stable... especially Ca and alk, and you'll be OK in the long run. Your anemone may be fine, may be in some trouble. But I'd say it's a 80:20 chance that everything will be OK in time. Anemones have a mind of their own.

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.8 pH is low, but not low enough to worry about. Despite what your LFS said, DO NOT GO CHASING pH levels. Just keep everything else in the proper range and stable... especially Ca and alk, and you'll be OK in the long run. Your anemone may be fine, may be in some trouble. But I'd say it's a 80:20 chance that everything will be OK in time. Anemones have a mind of their own.
Thank you for replying and giving me an ease , he is better today but still hiding behind that rock. I shall take it as normal for his behavior
image.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with anemones is when they look like this, they are suffering from low ALK.

I can show you pictures of an Anemone that looks like yours when it was in a tank with an ALK level of 6.2 dKH. After getting my ALK up to 8 and keeping it there, the Anemone recovered over the next 3 months.

If there are other Anemones in the tank that look healthy, it may only be a matter of time before they start to look like the Anemone in question.

I would ask you to post you salinity, temperature, calcium and alkalinity numbers. Also, what lighting do you have installed and do you have power heads installed for added flow?

Dom

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for replying and giving me an ease , he is better today but still hiding behind that rock. I shall take it as normal for his behavior
image.jpg
That looks much better to me.
Maybe someone bumped him or picked?
Other two are fine is the clue.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might consider taking it out of the tank and putting it in a PVC end cap. Then keep it in a quarantine tank for a few days to settle in. Then put it back in the sand of the main tank. It shouldn't move after that. My RBT has been in an end cap for 18 months and is doing just fine. BTW, all but 2 of my 11 anemones are in end caps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back