Is my coral dying?

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my coral dying? The rest of my corals seem to be doing just fine. But my sister prime broke on my and I can’t get a new one u til next week so I’m using my stock fluval evo 13 light for now. Parameters are fine just don’t know the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
B4CF5472-5384-40BC-8908-D9A4170CDB7D.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
can you get a better pic of left side,cannot tell if bare skeleton or tissue on ribs;)

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look good. What’s your parameters ?

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the exact same octospawn exept mine is green polyps, and had this exact same problem, they do this when they are stressed out from light, water flow, or fish/inverts stressing (example my turbo would always try to go up the stem of the coral and try to get agea off the upper part of the skeleton where there was flesh)
This being said, is there anyway you changed your lighting, water flow, or any inverts that are stressing the coral that you have noticed?

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the exact same octospawn exept mine is green polyps, and had this exact same problem, they do this when they are stressed out from light, water flow, or fish/inverts stressing (example my turbo would always try to go up the stem of the coral and try to get agea off the upper part of the skeleton where there was flesh)
This being said, is there anyway you changed your lighting, water flow, or any inverts that are stressing the coral that you have noticed?
Well I added a hermit crab that tends to stay near it. Basically under it or around it. The day I got it my ai prime broke so I’m using my old stock fluval evo 13 light until I get a new one next week. I bought it from my LFS they had a radion I believe. Flow is just the stock pump until I get a better one my old hydro gave out as well . But the angle from the flow makes it blow or flow to the right

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look good. What’s your parameters ?
Well right now I just have the basic red sea test kit until next week. But ph is 8.2-8.4, nitrite and nitrate are at 0, also my phosphate are 0. I’m thinking about dosing my tank with phosphate and nitrate to help.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't say it needs more light since euphyllia tend to thrive in low light and especially frogspawn, mine would shrivel up if the light was above 150 par
Funny my Octospawn is at 287 PAR and doing very well. Mine went semi transparent like that when it was in quarantine under crappy lights but perked right up once it got into DT under better lights.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals should survive with the stock light until you get the new one in if that is the only issue. They won't be happy, but they should survive. How long since the prime failed, and how long until you expect the replacement?

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I added a hermit crab that tends to stay near it. Basically under it or around it. The day I got it my ai prime broke so I’m using my old stock fluval evo 13 light until I get a new one next week. I bought it from my LFS they had a radion I believe. Flow is just the stock pump until I get a better one my old hydro gave out as well . But the angle from the flow makes it blow or flow to the right
Is the hermit crab blue legged or red and about the lighting is it dimable or not

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny my Octospawn is at 287 PAR and doing very well. Mine went semi transparent like that when it was in quarantine under crappy lights but perked right up once it got into DT under better lights.
Probably got used to it, mine would always shrivel up after 150 par and start bleaching out

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
light,watch crab!! ,try to random flow somehow poss just move a rock,constant one direction flow not good either

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals should survive with the stock light until you get the new one in if that is the only issue. They won't be happy, but they should survive. How long since the prime failed, and how long until you expect the replacement?
A two to three days since it failed I have to wait until Wednesday next week to get a new one.

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
light,watch crab!! ,try to random flow somehow poss just move a rock,constant one direction flow not good either
Ok will do. Yea the crab is always hanging around it never knew why. But definitely will keep and eye on things and do what you suggesty

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a red legged hermit and not the light only has two setting white which is in the picture or just blue lights.
Do only blue lights until the ai primes come, I know its not gonna look as puffy but it is not gonna get worse, and get rid of the red legged hermit crab had them and the blue ones to and would always climb up the stem and try to play around with it and in the action they damage the tissue. Get scarlet crabs they are the best mini reef safe hermits in my opinion.

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do only blue lights until the ai primes come, I know its not gonna look as puffy but it is not gonna get worse, and get rid of the red legged hermit crab had them and the blue ones to and would always climb up the stem and try to play around with it and in the action they damage the tissue. Get scarlet crabs they are the best mini reef safe hermits in my opinion.
Will do and always wondered why the crab was always around it. Also I have another question if you don’t mind do you does your tank? I’ve been thinking about dosing nitrates and phosphates to my tank

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, i would not ,feed a lil extra ..that will bring them up...jmo :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back