Is my favite dying?

ESamson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5412.jpg

I found today what looks like three dead spots on my favite frag (I think that's what this guy is). I got it a few weeks ago. Are those bleaching spots? What do you think it's causing it? Could it be reversible? Also those mouths have been gaping quite a bit for the past couple of days. Not sure if it's a sign of stress, as they did the same when I dipped it when I first introduced it to the tank. I've was target feeding zooplankton and aminos three times a week, and tried to feed mysis and brine, full size from frozen I feed to the fish (but nothing really "stuck" to it nor have I ever seen it grabbing any of it). Sorry if this is a basic question, but when they say feed these guys mysis or brine, does that mean powdered? Water parameters below. Thanks for any help!

This is one of my three first "test corals" I got for my 5mo tank. I'm so sorry if you're watching me kill this beautiful creature under my care. https://emojipedia.org/see-no-evil-monkey/ I'm learning. Hopefully I can make it right for him.

1.025, 78.8°F, Nitrates 6.5, Phos 0.18, Ca2 480, dKh 9, pH 8.1.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tissue Necrosis, looks like? If you damaged it in the dip then it may keeping sloughing off or it may stop?

With your NO3 and P levels where they are you probably don't need to spot feed this coral. Two weeks isn't much time at all for the coral to adjust to your system. I think I would recommend leaving it alone and just feed your fish and their waste will provide plenty for this coral if it can adapt to your system, lights, currents, etc. Leave it alone for a month and if it lives, and has tentacles out then lightly dust it with copepods (fresh, frozen, or dried) but remember they normally don't catch much at one time, but a little bit constantly is how they normally feed. I wonder if you overfed it like a goldfish?

OP
OP
E

ESamson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tissue Necrosis, looks like? If you damaged it in the dip then it may keeping sloughing off or it may stop?

With your NO3 and P levels where they are you probably don't need to spot feed this coral. Two weeks isn't much time at all for the coral to adjust to your system. I think I would recommend leaving it alone and just feed your fish and their waste will provide plenty for this coral if it can adapt to your system, lights, currents, etc. Leave it alone for a month and if it lives, and has tentacles out then lightly dust it with copepods (fresh, frozen, or dried) but remember they normally don't catch much at one time, but a little bit constantly is how they normally feed. I wonder if you overfed it like a goldfish?
Good point. Maybe I did. I meant to say phytoplankton. I put it in the tank for the copepods so I figured it doesn't hurt if I gently blow it over the corals when I do, three times a week. Thanks for the good advice. That sounds like a good plan. Not sure if I should stop the aminos too, they seem to be doing good to my Duncan. My third one is that leather with the whitening foot... I thought I was going slow enough with just three "super hardy" corals. But probably I could be more successful really mastering one coral at a time, at least while I start. This is teaching me a lesson to go much slower. Thanks for stopping by and for the advice. I'm learning a lot.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back