Is my goby and pistol shrimp pair behaviour normal or?

rowenaad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I got a pink tail goby (i think same as flag tail goby) and a pistol shrimp yesterday. They might have been caught as a pair or paired up at the seller. The goby follows along the shrimp but 90% time i saw the shrimp it doesnt have its antennae on the goby and just do its work alone tho the goby is nearby. Is this normal for a pair?

They have built a multi-entrance tunnel under a rock and goby is guarding it most of the time, but it also goes out repeatedly for a free walk and return to the burrow after a minute or so for the last 2 hours and shrimp for sure is not following and i dont see its antennae either. Is the goby looking for food? or just enjoying its time alone?

7917E861-FBB1-439D-9DCC-6FC6DF9CA584.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    9 MB

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the way the pair works is the goby watches out for the shrimp and usually brings him food and the shrimp does all the work. The shrimp has bad eye sight. I dont know about that goby species particularly but in general I think from what you have described I dont see anything weird. What more do you want or are you expecting out of their relationship?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp won't leave the burrows much or maybe not at all if the goby is doing its job. Especially not in the day time it won't leave much. The goby is looking for food when it leaves bit yes it probably does enjoy its alone time.

OP
OP
R

rowenaad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the way the pair works is the goby watches out for the shrimp and usually brings him food and the shrimp does all the work. The shrimp has bad eye sight. I dont know about that goby species particularly but in general I think from what you have described I dont see anything weird. What more do you want or are you expecting out of their relationship?
no that i want more, just all those videos showing or posts talking about shrimp hangs its antennae on the goby, but mine is like a leashless lolll but i guess every pair has its own way of communication

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually always wondered the same as you but I've never seen it.

My yellow watchman goby is always out, watching and patrolling the different entrances to the caves, he's usually out alone almost all day. Its extremely rare that I see the shrimp and goby out together.

I got my goby a year ago and the shrimp 6 months ago, they were not bonded when I bought them, maybe that has something to do with it? I dont know how it works.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the goby feels safe, it will venture out more on its own to feed.

OP
OP
R

rowenaad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually always wondered the same as you but I've never seen it.

My yellow watchman goby is always out, watching and patrolling the different entrances to the caves, he's usually out alone almost all day. Its extremely rare that I see the shrimp and goby out together.

I got my goby a year ago and the shrimp 6 months ago, they were not bonded when I bought them, maybe that has something to do with it? I dont know how it works.
My shrimp only comes out for food or refining the tunnel, ofc only when the goby is at the entrance. I think my goby left the burrow for food cuz I didnt feed enough. Today I fed it a decent amount and its happily staying at the entrances all day but can also be coincidence haha

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I got a pink tail goby (i think same as flag tail goby) and a pistol shrimp yesterday. They might have been caught as a pair or paired up at the seller. The goby follows along the shrimp but 90% time i saw the shrimp it doesnt have its antennae on the goby and just do its work alone tho the goby is nearby. Is this normal for a pair?

They have built a multi-entrance tunnel under a rock and goby is guarding it most of the time, but it also goes out repeatedly for a free walk and return to the burrow after a minute or so for the last 2 hours and shrimp for sure is not following and i dont see its antennae either. Is the goby looking for food? or just enjoying its time alone?

7917E861-FBB1-439D-9DCC-6FC6DF9CA584.jpeg
from what I know, the shrimp digs the homes for the two of them, the goby will guard the entrance of the prepared home as I understand pistol shrimp to be blind, and the Goby will provide food for the shrimp. It is not normal for they will live together, but I'm not sure of the paired relationship beyond that. I am waiting for a pair of my own to arrive and I will observe and know more then.

OP
OP
R

rowenaad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what I know, the shrimp digs the homes for the two of them, the goby will guard the entrance of the prepared home as I understand pistol shrimp to be blind, and the Goby will provide food for the shrimp. It is not normal for they will live together, but I'm not sure of the paired relationship beyond that. I am waiting for a pair of my own to arrive and I will observe and know more then.
Now i’ve had them for a little more than a month. Maybe I just have a really confident shrimp. What i have observed is the shrimp would touch when it first come out of the cave, but wont bother stay touched if it goes a few steps out even tho within touchable distance. It almost always comes out when feeding if its not molting. I have even caught it once running to the other end of the tank by itself and left the goby at the entrance. Really cool animals haha

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back