Is my Goldflake a hybrid?

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back in March of this year I purchased a Goldflake/Flagfin hybrid, and a juvenile Goldflake. I wanted to try and pair these two. You can see from the picture below ,the hybrid still had just a touch of black on his dorsal fin which is now gone. The Goldflake juvenile still had part her black spot and black dorsal fin and tail. As you can see in the pictures the goldflake has now lost all the black on her tail and dorsal fin, which it should not be losing but getting solid black. What is going on? Is this one a hybrid too or just trying to mimic the other hybrid. I also have an large male interruptus in the tank which does chase the goldflake juvi quite a bit. Would stress from being chased cause this? I'm at a loss as to what fish I actually have here and why it does not look like it should. See photos

In March when I firsts got them both at the same time.
Goldflake/Flagfin hybrid:
26907360_2062089704067004_2027908316707779873_n.jpg

Getting acclimated in separate tanks side by side:
IMG_1617.jpg

April, both now in same tank together:
IMG_2009.jpg

Today, the goldflake, as it was labeled when sold to me. (Sorry for the bad picture from today)
IMG_2720copy.jpg

Brautumn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a flagfin angel and that is what it looks like, black and then white on the bottom fin with black spot on the head. I am not sure what these guys look like when they are juvenile maybe google some pictures.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a flagfin angel and that is what it looks like, black and then white on the bottom fin with black spot on the head. I am not sure what these guys look like when they are juvenile maybe google some pictures.
The last picture is of the goldflake not the flagfin.

Brautumn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last picture is of the goldflake not the flagfin.[/QUOTE
Sorry but the last picture looks exactly like our flagfin. The picture above the last looks like one flagfin and the other a goldflake. The first picture of the fish in the bag looks like a flagfin with a very small faded black spot on top. I am not sure why the would call it a hybrid. There is a big difference in looks and price on both.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, big difference in price! They came from Quality Marine and was labeled as Goldflake/Flagfin Hybrid and juvi goldflake. The GF actually has very light black color on it dorsal and tail. The last picture is not very good.

Brautumn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way they are both beautiful fish and look good together with good personalities.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hybrid has a shadow or ghost of black on his dorsal fin which is not easy to see unless you really look.

Brautumn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a picture of our flagfin, not easy. The body looks like a bright yellow but is darker with gold flecks on it.
20180706_123520_resized.jpg

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brautumn Yours has a lot more white on it's anal fin than mine does. Don't know if that means anything.
My GF has different pattern on body than my hybrid.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my flagfin, it's hard to pick up the metallic look in pics. In person my flagfin is a metallic yellow, I believe that's just a juvie or younger flagfin.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of them two months ago when they were first added to the DT

Here's a video of the same two fish as of today.

Gar3th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call the police, it looks like a very sophisticated thief has stolen your small Goldflake, and replaced it with a Flagfin... In all seriousness that’s some transformation, I’d be very interested to hear what exactly has happened.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a goldflake angelfish costume hidden underneath a rock somewhere? Or maybe it's wearing a flagfin costume, hmm... :p Following, I'm really curious.

Beautiful Interruptus btw.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call the police, it looks like a very sophisticated thief has stolen your small Goldflake, and replaced it with a Flagfin... In all seriousness that’s some transformation, I’d be very interested to hear what exactly has happened.

Goldflakes are expensive enough and I am going to be very upset if I find out I paid over $1000 for a regular and not a gf/ff hybrid!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 78 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back