Is my Hammer about to spawn?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E7382F06-2797-4051-87B9-DF3FAE45663B.jpeg

I noticed my Yellow/Green hammer I picked up from last TSA sale appears to have eggs embedded in the tissue. Not sure it these are euphyllia eggs or possible parasite/hitchhiker eggs. The hammer has been doing great and has doubled in size. Currently it still resides in my QT tank. Should I be concerned or excited?

Last edited:

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen that before. When mine grows it makes new heads by branching out. One usually splits into 2 then they grow longer and extend away from each other before splitting again. I fragged it and have about 15 now that are starting to split again.

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen that before. When mine grows it makes new heads by branching out. One usually splits into 2 then they grow longer and extend away from each other before splitting again. I fragged it and have about 15 now that are starting to split again.
Most of my others branch(unless they're wall hammers) but I'm pretty sure euphyllia spawn as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool, looks like gammets to me.
Definitely appears to be gametes. When the lights came on this morning it appeared that they all were expelled from the hammer. Guess I'll have to wait and see if anything eventually grows from them. Highly unlikely I would think. Wondering if this was just a fluke or if the recent full moon had something to do with it. I have several other Euphyllia -hammers, torches and frogspawn all in the same tank. None of the others seemed any different from what I could tell. Too bad this wasn't occurring in my Dragon Soul torch. ;Wideyed

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back