Is my kenia tree needs more light?

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it looks like reaching for the light? A month ago it had lost it's colour's in that places, so I started dosing No3 Po4 cause they were too low and also bought RedSea reff energy, it became more alive, but haven't returned it's colour's. So a week+- ago i decided to higher my blue lights but again nothing happened yet. It still to be browny. One i know exactly is that it's the most fastidious coral on my tank)
Light: Jebao Al -90 on 45x75 tank 55cm deep
Or is it the other way around, lots of light?

1000005170.jpg Screenshot_2023-08-20-12-13-24-77_cd000f9c2dee4fb813c27a19b562e438.jpg Screenshot_2023-08-20-12-13-22-45_cd000f9c2dee4fb813c27a19b562e438.jpg Screenshot_2023-08-20-12-13-20-70_cd000f9c2dee4fb813c27a19b562e438.jpg Screenshot_2023-08-20-12-13-18-52_cd000f9c2dee4fb813c27a19b562e438.jpg Screenshot_2023-08-20-12-13-16-55_cd000f9c2dee4fb813c27a19b562e438.jpg Screenshot_2023-08-20-12-13-14-70_cd000f9c2dee4fb813c27a19b562e438.jpg

Markcw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kenya trees love the blue light, never run red or purples only full blues with a little white which run all day, recently our Kenya tree shed around 9 branches which I then fragged and sold to LFS.
Kenya are very hard and as long as it is not shriveled and closed up your doing good.
Many believe the Kenya tree are the weeds of reef aquarium, I've got 3 frags left in mine and 2 other disappeared never to be seen again.

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_112349.jpg
    IMG_20230820_112349.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kenya trees love the blue light, never run red or purples only full blues with a little white which run all day, recently our Kenya tree shed around 9 branches which I then fragged and sold to LFS.
Kenya are very hard and as long as it is not shriveled and closed up your doing good.
Many believe the Kenya tree are the weeds of reef aquarium, I've got 3 frags left in mine and 2 other disappeared never to be seen again.
I'm starting to think the same. At first a had a problem with that "shriveled and closed up" but the solution was "don't touch, disturb me" and it had stopped to do it along the day. But now it got browny on some branches and stretching to the lights? (Don't know exactly, im new exactly with corals at all, not reef tanking). So you think i should make my blue lights even higher?

Chela101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to think the same. At first a had a problem with that "shriveled and closed up" but the solution was "don't touch, disturb me" and it had stopped to do it along the day. But now it got browny on some branches and stretching to the lights? (Don't know exactly, im new exactly with corals at all, not reef tanking). So you think i should make my blue lights even higher?
Usually I have noticed that when they are new they always turn brown meaning they adjusting to the tank… but if it’s been there for a while like months even year then I guess the lights…. have you tried phyto from OG REEF color blend…. That will probably help, and I think he is having a sale. Super good stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_1457.png
    IMG_1457.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually I have noticed that when they are new they always turn brown meaning they adjusting to the tank… but if it’s been there for a while like months even year then I guess the lights…. have you tried phyto from OG REEF color blend…. That will probably help, and I think he is having a sale. Super good stuff!
I haven't tried OG REEF, but started to feed with RedSea reff energy AB+. Sooo you think it can get use to conditions further. I've planted it on 13th of June. Maybe i will wait 1-2 weeks and make blue's a bit higher again

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, browning corals is usually due to low lights. But without knowing the par, its difficult to say. Although I do feel that folks often underestimate how much light leathers like.

Chela101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried OG REEF, but started to feed with RedSea reff energy AB+. Sooo you think it can get use to conditions further. I've planted it on 13th of June. Maybe i will wait 1-2 weeks and make blue's a bit higher again
It can happen… because i had gotten corals from like online stores and they go through a brown stage when I add them to my tank… and for the phyto I like OG REEF because you can’t over do it. Unlike the Red Sea enrgy AB…. Give it a try and for the lights remember… if that coral was in the ocean, it would be more blue light than plain white light because they live further in the ocean… I have noticed that my corals that I have placed more near my window with natural light have turned brown than a vibrant color they usually had when I first bought them… so if your tank is near a window it might just be the sunlight hitting it and just making your coral loose it’s color…

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can happen… because i had gotten corals from like online stores and they go through a brown stage when I add them to my tank… and for the phyto I like OG REEF because you can’t over do it. Unlike the Red Sea enrgy AB…. Give it a try and for the lights remember… if that coral was in the ocean, it would be more blue light than plain white light because they live further in the ocean… I have noticed that my corals that I have placed more near my window with natural light have turned brown than a vibrant color they usually had when I first bought them… so if your tank is near a window it might just be the sunlight hitting it and just making your coral loose it’s color…
Heh u right, i was thinking about it too. So i put some towels on the side for light balance a few weeks ago until i find something more good looking and non-transparent. Cause it's exactly on the side where the daylight is coming

IMG_20230820_154845.jpg

Last edited:

Chela101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh u right, i was thinking about it too. So i put some towels on the side for light balance a few weeks ago until i find something more good looking and non-transparent. Cause it's exactly on the side where the daylight is coming

IMG_20230820_154845.jpg
Amazing! So now it’s just time of the coral getting its color back by giving it food that helps in that category;)

Markcw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My whole tank has improved since going away from white to more blue lighting. I also feed red planton frozen and coral food by coral fusion. All my K trees now expand during the day and like now my evening to moon phase is coming into play and the Kenya tree will get rigid and suck itself in until tomorrow main lights.

IMG_20230820_201522.jpg

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My whole tank has improved since going away from white to more blue lighting. I also feed red planton frozen and coral food by coral fusion. All my K trees now expand during the day and like now my evening to moon phase is coming into play and the Kenya tree will get rigid and suck itself in until tomorrow main lights.

IMG_20230820_201522.jpg
Heh, few minutes ago mine did the same, it will expand a bit later a think. Okay, thanks all for feedback, hope everything will be fine soon

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_222306.jpg
    IMG_20230820_222306.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20230820_201522.jpg
By the way, does K trees can eat such big food as plankton? And does yours closes because of something during the day just like on that your photo- cause mine can do so

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank parameters exactly. Listcascmuchvas you know ! That wil help

Markcw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, does K trees can eat such big food as plankton? And does yours closes because of something during the day just like on that your photo- cause mine can do so
My experience of the Kenya tree is they take what ever they need from food in the water frozen contain very small particles which they eat and my coral food is perfect for all of my corals. All my Kenya trees close up at night because in the wild this is a safety response and when light reduces this tells them to close up its there natural instinct.
I have had micro brittle stars on the KT and this really irritates them to the point they will shrivil rigid completely untill I have to intervene.

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank parameters exactly. Listcascmuchvas you know ! That wil help
Okaay... When i had the problem with "shots closing up" a whote this thread
, but sollution was so much simpler- let it stand in peace and destress and it worked. There is also a massage when this "brown" exatcly happened, but guys in forum had stopped anwsering, so i came to a shop (consulted a bit) where bought that RedSea food and No3Po4 and started dosing, other parameters havent changed , but i think something is soaking phosfate cause it raises muuuch harder than nitrate by dosing.

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okaay... When i had the problem with "shots closing up" a whote this thread
, but sollution was so much simpler- let it stand in peace and destress and it worked. There is also a massage when this "brown" exatcly happened, but guys in forum had stopped anwsering, so i came to a shop (consulted a bit) where bought that RedSea food and No3Po4 and started dosing, other parameters havent changed , but i think something is soaking phosfate cause it raises muuuch harder than nitrate by dosing.
phosfates are close to zero, but not zero cause i`m trying to dose on normal level (salifert tests seems to getting blue, but i cant say sure that i can compare it with cart now), but it comes hard and nitrates are 2.5 +-

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back