Something wrong with Kenya tree

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In marine aquariums I'm not exactly new to marine aquariums, but in the winter I started to deal with water quality in order to eventually get the first corals.
Right now the equipment list is as follows:
1. Two flow pumps Jebao mlw 20
2. Jebao AL-90 lights
3. Bubble Magus Curve 3 skimmer.
Also have filter socks, DIY cooler and scrubber, temperature not higher than 27.5 degrees, KH 12.5 (if I understood the Salifert test correctly), nitrate and phosphate in small amounts, almost undetectable by the color of the test, salinity 0.026 +-, red sea salt. RODI water
The problem is that it can several times during the day retract, partially or completely cover the polyps on all or individual branches, as can be seen in the two pictures. This can last from 5 to 20 minutes. At the same time sarcophyton feels its best. Also the third (the bluest) photo shows how it has started to curl up in the evenings in the last few days, but this is probably natural and it just goes to sleep.
Basically it looks healthy, well colored.
As soon as I bought it on one small stone with sarcophyton about a month and a half ago, it began to grow more upward (you can see it in one of the photos right after the purchase), then over time grabbed its foot under the stone and therefore began to grow more horizontally, as I realized.
1. In the first weeks I thought that the reason was the high current, so I reduced it in the day program to 50% maximum in the daytime and placed the left pump higher, as shown in the video. I took the light settings on another forum from a dude, and I lowered them a little on white and blue colors just in case, because I know that in this lamp blue color can burn coral (screenshots of settings also attached), but it all did not help.
2. Then a few weeks ago I thought that maybe it's that the worms (which still build houses out of grains of sand, I do not remember what they are called) with their long white tentacles somehow from time to time disturb the coral and they close for a while, so I began to put cement to cover the crevices in order around there were no worms and no one could not get it. But even this did not help.
In conclusion: it seems to me that this is not normal behavior, but I can't think of anything else. Light, water quality, environment and current should be within normal limits.
The last options could be that it is from below rubbing branches against a rock and it does not like it, or running plankton and somehow it touches it, but in this I have little faith.
Please help and advice

after purchase.jpg disturbed.jpg disturbed2.jpg Photo3.jpg photo_2023-07-21_22-03-22.jpg photo_2023-07-21_22-03-25.jpg photo_2023-07-21_22-03-29.jpg photo_2023-07-21_22-03-32.jpg photo_2023-07-21_22-03-36.jpg photo_2023-07-21_22-03-40.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20230721_193422.mp4
    72.3 MB

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kenya tree does not close up during the day unless something is bothering it ( usually me removing something from the branches ). It does close completely down at night. Also, mine likes to lean all the way over and like it it searching for something, stretches until it touches a rock. I have moved it a couple of times, seems to like the spot it is in now close to a rock. I feed it, talk to it and watch it a lot.

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kenya tree does not close up during the day unless something is bothering it ( usually me removing something from the branches ). It does close completely down at night. Also, mine likes to lean all the way over and like it it searching for something, stretches until it touches a rock. I have moved it a couple of times, seems to like the spot it is in now close to a rock. I feed it, talk to it and watch it a lot.
Third sentence is about it). I can not even imagine what else can bother mine, maybe its just dont like touching the rock too. Maybe i shoud leave it like that and let to get used to the conditions. Oh, and could you plese tell me what do you feed them with? I have couple zip's of brine eggs in freezer, and i wonder if i coud feed with them, or i need to shred them before.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third sentence is about it). I can not even imagine what else can bother mine, maybe its just dont like touching the rock too. Maybe i shoud leave it like that and let to get used to the conditions. Oh, and could you plese tell me what do you feed them with? I have couple zip's of brine eggs in freezer, and i wonder if i coud feed with them, or i need to shred them before.
I feed Ocean Nutrition Reef Pulse mixed thick and use a syrenge to target feed - the food is a very micro-sized powdered food. My Kenya tree in on a plug on the sand bed and likes touching the rock. It may want to be on the rock ?

I was warned to not make it happy !

Probably happens !

Last edited:
OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Ocean Nutrition Reef Pulse mixed thick and use a syrenge to target feed - the food is a very micro-sized powdered food. My Kenya tree in on a plug on the sand bed and likes touching the rock. It may want to be on the rock ?

I was warned to not make it happy !

Probably happens !
Hey, one more question. Now it's trunk is wrinkled, is it normal? Not as puffed up as in the beginning

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not like its neighbor ? What is that white thing next to it ? Is it on a plug ? Or, did you glue it there ? Large rock !

Probably happens !
I don't exactly understand what you mean under "white thing". They both lived on 1 stone and were glued to big stone. Left it is Kenya tree and right is sarcophyton (probably your white thing). But ****, i recently went from a shop and noticed that some polyps underneath became brown (the trunk and branches partly too), but were gloving green, maybe it wants more light... I'm a bit scared...

IMG_20230727_171625_897.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like softies doing what they do. They can be terribly temperamental. In a few months youll be over it as it will grow and drop lots of babies.
Also thank for advice, i left it in peace and it stopped doing this things with closing along the day, but new problem appeared (previous massage), maybe you can advise something too?

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't exactly understand what you mean under "white thing". They both lived on 1 stone and were glued to big stone. Left it is Kenya tree and right is sarcophyton (probably your white thing). But ****, i recently went from a shop and noticed that some polyps underneath became brown (the trunk and branches partly too), but were gloving green, maybe it wants more light... I'm a bit scared...

IMG_20230727_171625_897.jpg
That is a not a Kenya tree in this photo.

Probably happens !

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back