Is my mandarin too skinny? Please help me ???

OP
OP
R

Robert Nofer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
571fe9ece73c985b2826e5ad35bce3b1.png
9ae9e6bf5df58df39a859b9ce35148d5.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Robert, it's much easier to help if you keep everything is in one post :)

I do think the mandarin's tail may be related to malnutrition, as they are generally pretty disease resistant. But, as we discussed before-he needs supplemental foods and fast!

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarins tail is always beat up. I think it from going in and out of the rock work. Mandarins are definitely picky eaters. If he's losing weight now he probably won't make it.

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male and female in a 110 gal and they will eat vitalis marine pellets, it took a couple of weeks but that's mostly what they eat as they wiped out the pod population .

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Mandarin Dragonet a few months ago and he was pretty skinny. Then I found out about Nutramar Ova, what a difference. I spot feed and spray the food on the surface of the rocks and he'll go right for it. He has been steadily gaining weight. BTW, I also have a significant amount of pods in my tank, but the Nutramar Ova is what I think is helping the most.

I'm still a relative newbie, when it comes to Mandarins, but I hope this helps.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From those first few pics. Is it just me or does it seem like that fish has ich? A lot of white spots. Can't tell if it is just bubbles or sand sticking to the slime coat.
About the topic of it being skinny. Yes!
A fat healthy dragonet looks like this. No skeletal lines done the length of the fish.

20170225_115351.jpg

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Robert, how large is your tank and how much rock work do you have, and does your rocks have lots of nooks and crannies or smooth?

It may be worth building a pod hotel and tucking it in a corner (see my DIY post on this for an idea).

I had a similar issue with my spotted that I rescued despite an over abundance of rocks in my tank -- she was almost point of no return skinny. The pod hotel has now made her fat like the one in 40B Knasty's pic...to the point that I felt encourage to introduce a pair of green mandarins to the tank (they were meant as temporary residents out of necessity while in transit for another tank but wound up leaving them in since they immediately all got along).

You can see the two greens hanging on the hotel for some late night snack in the pic...

After months of refusing to eat nothing but pods from the hotel and rocks, the spotted just recently decided to occasionally pick on frozen nutra ova eggs and mysis blend that I feed to her other tank mates. And, even explored some flakes. So, I would suggest trying both pod hotel and frozen supplement...

20170531_181944.jpg

20170615_215223.jpg

Last edited:

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
De encapsulate brine shrimp eggs. Look on youtube. Works great. They eat the eggs and the shrimp thst do hatch get eated too. Cheap and apparently tasty. Helps preserve the pod populations. Reduces the hunting pressure.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I’m actually trying that right now
Be sure to load up the hotel with a large bottle of tisbe pods to help things along. Easiest way for me was to pour the bottle in via the top holes using a long funnel like the tube from a baster after removing the bulb

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins pick at rock and sand looking for food ALL day. They need well established...at least 1 year old...tanks. The tank should be way larger than most people think, they need A LOT of rock for pods to live and reproduce in. You will find it difficult to impossible to keep a mandarin in a tank smaller then 75 gal. IMO, this is still too small. If they eat frozen, awesome, but that will only be supplemental at best unless you can literally stand and feed them all day long. These beautiful fish are cheap, but far from easy which is why they unfortunately die all the time. You will he amazed how emaciated they will get before they die. I had some weird issue happen with my male, which led to not eating. It is so sad.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back