Is my math right or am I crazy?

Wet_Fretboards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

I have a 1.5 gallon ATO reservoir, and I initially started it with 3 tsp of kalk for the 2 tsp per gallon mixture. Now, say it evaps 1 gallon per day. So, daily, I mix a gallon of ro water with 2 tsp of kalk and pour into the res. All else aside (settling and whatnot), THEORETICALLY, the total concentration of kalk remains the same, correct? A friend of mine (non-reefer) was over and was watching me do my daily routine. As I was explaining it all to him, he tried to tell me that I was raising the concentration every time i did that. Likewise, if I add vinegar to the ATO mix at the same dose per added volume, that stays the same as well, correct? I'm a flight paramedic by trade, and I calculate, mix and run multiple weight based IV drips over time on a daily basis, so I'm pretty sure I'm correct here, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot, I'm confused. Now I know why I use two part lol

Same issue with two part lol

If the dosing container was half full and you added half the normal solids and half the normal water, the concentration would be unchanged. :)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without the vinegar you can't raise the concentration past the saturation point anyway. Now once you add vinegar it's possible that the concentration might creep up a bit since it would allow anything over the 2tsp per gal to start dissolving.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without the vinegar you can't raise the concentration past the saturation point anyway. Now once you add vinegar it's possible that the concentration might creep up a bit since it would allow anything over the 2tsp per gal to start dissolving.

But he isn't adding more than saturation. :)

Back