Is my Mini Maxi Carpet Nem dying?

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Got a Mini Maxi today and after turning out the lights his mouth opened. Turned back on for quick pic. Is this normal or is he on the way out? Can I do anything? Thank you for the help!!
16076622538755984695337037168540.jpg

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no anemone expert but I have had a mini maxi carpet anemone going on 8 years now. I can tell you I have seen him in WAY worse condition than that and bounce back we’ll each time and doing great now.
I’ve noticed as long as the colors are fine and not shrinking that they are usually fine. Occasionally I have seen the mouth open like that after feeding but also after stress from power outages so not sure what is causing yours. But again that is nowhere near bad and they are definitely very hardy. Keep good water parameters and I do find it helps to occasionally feed once a week but I’ve also had it do fine even with no feeding for a month. Good luck and hope you and I can share more pics of the same ones 20 years from now
DF073450-F650-41EE-BC7F-73664A85CBA1.jpeg

OP
OP
Drew1600

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Mrod, that makes me feel much better. I will keep a close eye and continue daily testing for awhile. Would hate to lose the little guy. I appreciate it again man!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,perfectly normal ,exchanging water,looks great,nice colors :)

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no anemone expert but I have had a mini maxi carpet anemone going on 8 years now. I can tell you I have seen him in WAY worse condition than that and bounce back we’ll each time and doing great now.
I’ve noticed as long as the colors are fine and not shrinking that they are usually fine. Occasionally I have seen the mouth open like that after feeding but also after stress from power outages so not sure what is causing yours. But again that is nowhere near bad and they are definitely very hardy. Keep good water parameters and I do find it helps to occasionally feed once a week but I’ve also had it do fine even with no feeding for a month. Good luck and hope you and I can share more pics of the same ones 20 years from now
DF073450-F650-41EE-BC7F-73664A85CBA1.jpeg
hi MRod,

I've had a maxi mini for about a week and he made himself at home on the rock work. He hasn't moved, and I've fed him once. Today, I noticed a thick brown stringy filament floating across his body. He was also shrunken into the rock. I removed the stringy thing, but he's still 1/4 his normal size. My guess is anemone poop. Do they shrink when they poop? There's also a platy frag 5 inches downstream from the nem, but I haven't seen the platy send out any sweepers that long, and I wouldn't think it's thick and brown.

All other frags are vibrant and doing well. Parameters are good. How long before the maxi goes back to normal size?

oldschoolmarcel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything eat these things? Mine have been great for years but I think an emerald crab is picking at it

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back