Is my nem dying

Baneston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little guy is 6 months old and continues to decline but looks terrible today.
Sulphate- .21 was .51 but added a packet to bring it down.
calcium-430
All- 8.3
Everything is is normal. Did a water change today. I’ve heard they can reck your tank if they are dying and you don’t get them out soon enough. Help!

AFB0EC44-BDAC-4DFF-B962-2A72D372257A.jpeg

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulphate? What packet? Your nem indeed does not look good but I wouldn't worry about any undue damage from it dying. I've heard that too but it seems like a myth considering I've killed a few BTA's in my time reefing with no ill effects.

OP
OP
Baneston

Baneston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg not sulfate, phosphate, so sorry. I can’t recall the name/brand. Recommended by our lfs.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured. Just ruling that out in case you'd dropped some brimstone in your tank or something. That is a huge nutrient swing and I personally would expect some damage from doing so. That said, BTA's are pretty hardy animals and I've only killed them by tearing their feet despite some serious chemistry issues. I'd suggest focusing on stability and continuing to bring that PO4 reading down some more but not too low. 0.05-0.10 is a good reference range for me.

OP
OP
Baneston

Baneston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, thx. For the first couple of months it stayed in the same place but has been cruising for the last couple. I feed it earlier and it looks worse. I’m a mom, it’s what we do… feed our sick! Probably shouldn’t feed a sick nem‍♀️

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! You should have said that. That's also a BTA's pooping mode after digesting ime. Coincidently they look the same when they're dying. Is it uh, excreting anything?

OP
OP
Baneston

Baneston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! You should have said that. That's also a BTA's pooping mode after digesting ime. Coincidently they look the same when they're dying.
True! But it’s like shriveling up like I have never seen. Will keep watching! Thank you!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA shrinks up like that 1-2 times a day, but always puffs back up again after an hour or so. If it stays like that for more than a day, I'd guess it's on the way out. Your Phospate was pretty high (and is still higher than I ever let my tank get), but I doubt that is the problem. What is your Nitrate level? Have you been feeding your nem?

OP
OP
Baneston

Baneston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA shrinks up like that 1-2 times a day, but always puffs back up again after an hour or so. If it stays like that for more than a day, I'd guess it's on the way out. Your Phospate was pretty high (and is still higher than I ever let my tank get), but I doubt that is the problem. What is your Nitrate level? Have you been feeding your nem?
Will check nitrates tomorrow, I have been feeding a liquid for all my corals and also reef roofs once. Week.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back