Is my purple hammer pooping??

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not going to like this, but it looks like your coral is expelling zooxanthellae algae. This is not a good sign.

Please keep an eye on this coral because it is not doing well, in my opinion. How long have you had this coral and when did it start doing this?

My recommendation would be to dip it in Coral RX and keep an eye on it daily. If you want to see more, you can google "hammer coral expelling zooxanthellae".

Please note this is just my recommendation based on my experience in the hobby.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not going to like this, but it looks like your coral is expelling zooxanthellae algae. This is not a good sign.

Please keep an eye on this coral because it is not doing well, in my opinion. How long have you had this coral and when did it start doing this?

My recommendation would be to dip it in Coral RX and keep an eye on it daily. If you want to see more, you can google "hammer coral expelling zooxanthellae".

Please note this is just my recommendation based on my experience in the hobby.
I'm from India, we don't get Rx here. Reef dip I already have. Is it coz of high lights?

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok with the Reef dip. I am not sure what could be causing it without more information.

1. What are your parameters?
  2. Any variations in temperature recently? (These corals are very sensitive to temp and alk changes)
  3. Did anything change in your tank recently?
  4. How long have you had this coral in your tank?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok with the Reef dip. I am not sure what could be causing it without more information.

1. What are your parameters?
  2. Any variations in temperature recently? (These corals are very sensitive to temp and alk changes)
  3. Did anything change in your tank recently?
  4. How long have you had this coral in your tank?
It's Been a few days, I guess it started doing this when I fed it frozen mysis . I dip them in reef plus n store it in freezer. have a green hammer, and it's doing fantastic. No changes. Temp is 27c it's always been that,maybe it was from cooler water?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you guys think about the hammer now? Does it look healthy?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty happy to me. Have you seen it releasing anything since the originL post?
Only if I feed it. Should I place it at the bottom? Is it coz it's right below the light?

Shady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it where it is , it looks healthy enough. The first video is just having a poo , nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not poo. The coral is discharging zooxanthellae. Corals do not have bile from a liver, or dead blood cells to color their poo brown. If, they poo, it will be the remains of something they ate that was not fully digested. If they eat pink shrimp meat, and poo a portion out later, the poo will be pink. If you capture that discharge, and view it under a microscope, you'll see that it's clear slime, loaded with brown zooxanthellae. The coral is trying to adjust to the bright light at the top of the tank.
I would move the coral to a more subdued light area. The coral looks a little pale to me. Like it has lost some of it's zooxanthellae. Otherwise, it does look healthy. In lower light, it will produce much deeper/richer colors.
HTH
Peace
EC

Back