Is My Reef Overstocked? (90G)

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys quick question, is my 90 gallon reef overstocked?

Current stocking list:
Pair of clowns
Watchman Goby
Royal Gramma
Green Clown Goby
Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang (Moving out when it gets bigger)

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys quick question, is my 90 gallon reef overstocked?

Current stocking list:
Pair of clowns
Watchman Goby
Royal Gramma
Green Clown Goby
Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang (Not Permanent)
No. But depends on your nutrient export.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 7 fish and imo 5 of them all fish and yellow tang probably classed as medium sized and hippo tang is large with sizes we have in our tanks( these sizes are adult fully grown) so i would say you can have another 3- 7 small -medium size fishes but as said above many factors like how much you feed and what your cuc is and what your filtration can handle and frequency of your water changes plus many other factors like compatibilty/aquascape but i would say you understocked but some may say its best to be understocked than overstocked or stocked just right as when problem happens like power failure or an equipment stops working then less livestock hopefully lesser the problem will be but keep eye on your parameters and if want more fish then check compatability and feeding requirements and research about new fish then do your best to cater for their needs and then hopefully everything runs smoother for you ^_^

Edit: alao for me what im planning is staying slightly under stocked then if say i get a coral and dip it but a nasty pest gets through the dip then as im under stocked i have option of researching which fish is best to help me fight this nasty pest then aslong as fish not to expensive ( which probably wont be ) then i can buy a fish to help me battle the pest then always got option of taking back to lfs/ putting in my qt/ hoapital/ observation tank that always running or put in sump ,so just gives me that extra little option if not fully stocked.
Ovbiously iff needed to go this route i would be researching on fishes need and compatibilty and be using acclimination box or whatever needed to make it safe/less stressfull for new fiah as all other fishes got their territories and will defend them

Last edited:

Mightythias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 7 fish and imo 5 of them all fish and yellow tang probably classed as medium sized and hippo tang is large with sizes we have in our tanks( these sizes are adult fully grown) so i would say you can have another 3- 7 small -medium size fishes but as said above many factors like how much you feed and what your cuc is and what your filtration can handle and frequency of your water changes plus many other factors like compatibilty/aquascape but i would say you understocked but some may say its best to be understocked than overstocked or stocked just right as when problem happens like power failure or an equipment stops working then less livestock hopefully lesser the problem will be but keep eye on your parameters and if want more fish then check compatability and feeding requirements and research about new fish then do your best to cater for their needs and then hopefully everything runs smoother for you ^_^
Yeah Id say they can have another 3-4 fish easy without any problems as long as their filtration is right and such.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Agree with you. So many factors for tank stocking. Aside from fish size obviously.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back