Is My Ruby Longfin Wrasse Okay?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DocRose
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DocRose

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2021
Messages
498
Reaction score
338
Location
Redford, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know fish don't actually have a nose like we do. I use the term nose because it's located above the mouth and between the eyes. This Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse has been in my 20 gallon QT for about two weeks now. Like any shipped fish, it went into hiding (as best it could) for the first week (only coming out to quickly grab food). Now I see it out and about, and only really gets startled if you approach the tank too fast. If you come up slowly enough it doesn't bother him. My concern is this white bump on its "nose". It's been there since about the 4th or 5th day (at least that's when I noticed it). He swims around fine and eats aggressively... I haven't seen him ever try to jump or run into the rock or glass. Also, there's a blue line on its underside that runs from the mouth almost all the way to the pectoral fin. Thoughts?

IMG-3208.jpg IMG-3211.jpg IMG-3209.jpg
​
 
Last edited:
So I know fish don't actually have a nose like we do. I use the term nose because it's located above the mouth and between the eyes. This Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse has been in my 20 gallon QT for about two weeks now. Like any shipped fish, it went into hiding (as best it could) for the first week (only coming out to quickly grab food). Now I see it out and about, and only really gets startled if you approach the tank too fast. If you come up slowly enough it doesn't bother him. My concern is this white bump on its "nose". It's been there since about the 4th or 5th day (at least that's when I noticed it). He swims around fine and eats aggressively... I haven't seen him ever try to jump or run into the rock or glass. Also, there's a blue line on its underside that runs from the mouth almost all the way to the pectoral fin. Thoughts?

IMG-3208.jpg IMG-3211.jpg IMG-3209.jpg
​

Glad to hear the overall habits are normal. The fish may have gotten this from being netted (net damage ) and should heal on its own BUT keep an eye on it to assure it does not develop into an infection and Assure you are providing good water quality to prevent bacteria
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new