Is my salinity level OK?

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I have been wondering if i need to raise my salinity level a bit. Since day one i have kept my Salinity at 33ppm. Tanks about 1-1/2yrs old. Id say tank is doing great LPS heavy 5 fish. 65 gallon tank. No real major losses. Actually lost torch and hammer recently not sure why but overall everything really good. Just wondering if it would be better if i get it up higher to 35ppm. I know stability is key but should I slowly raise it to 35 and let it be? What u guys keep yours at?
Thx
Brani

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35 myself. One reason to keep it at 33 is the other parameters change slightly with density.
If it’s stable it’s fine for sure. But when you test alk, it’s actually slightly different than someone with

Fwiw, I calibrate my refractimeter religiously with name brand fluid.
Got an icp test, and salinity was different than my results.

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also keep mine at 35 ideally. But if you've been successful for a year and a half by all means stick with it. It's obviously not hurting anything
Its not hurting anything but thinking maybe things would be even better if i maybe raise it. My zoas are not really producing as much as i think they should be but this might not be because of salinity idk

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35 myself. One reason to keep it at 33 is the other parameters change slightly with density.
If it’s stable it’s fine for sure. But when you test alk, it’s actually slightly different than someone with

Fwiw, I calibrate my refractimeter religiously with name brand fluid.
Got an icp test, and salinity was different than my results.
I rely on my apex salinity probe. When i mix i check with the Milwaukee digital refractometer 5 gallons in basement. Never really use the Milwaukee in the DT. I should double check. Also have a regular refractometer

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping it from 33 to 35 isn't too big of a deal. Just do it over a couple water changes.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9b5afd2ac855a9bdd6a10df695cf86a3.jpg

Keep mine at 35

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Apex is great for monitoring trends but I would never depend on it for my main determination of DT salinity.
I think you are right. I rely in this too much. I will triple check today with all my refractometers properly zeroed etc. lets see how accurate what is.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, there are some subtle issues here, and one of the complications is that reefers often monitor and control many values independent of salinity. That complicates what the question is even asking

So while 33 ppt is almost certainly an OK salinity in general, 33 ppt natural seawater may not be optimal from many peoples perspective because the alkalinity will be only about 6 dKH (especially since it leaves very little downside for consumption before you next dose).

But if you have 33 ppt salinity AND 7 dKH alk and 420 ppm calcium and 1300 ppm magnesium, that might seem more reasonable to many folks. :)

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx!
I use Aquaforest reef salt and dose components via doser. Maintain like 7.5 to 8 alkalinity. Calcium 420 and mag 1350. So if i bring salinity up you are saying naturally all other elements will rise in turn i will dose alittle less to keep at my target parameters?
FWIW, there are some subtle issues here, and one of the complications is that reefers often monitor and control many values independent of salinity. That complicates what the question is even asking

So while 33 ppt is almost certainly an OK salinity in general, 33 ppt natural seawater may not be optimal from many peoples perspective because the alkalinity will be only about 6 dKH (especially since it leaves very little downside for consumption before you next dose).

But if you have 33 ppt salinity AND 7 dKH alk and 420 ppm calcium and 1300 ppm magnesium, that might seem more reasonable to many folks. :)
hx

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx!
I use Aquaforest reef salt and dose components via doser. Maintain like 7.5 to 8 alkalinity. Calcium 420 and mag 1350. So if i bring salinity up you are saying naturally all other elements will rise in turn i will dose alittle less to keep at my target parameters?

hx

They will rise as the salinity rises, then stop. From 33 to 35 ppt will boost everything by about 6.1% (35/33), so magnesium at 1300 ppm rises to 1300 x 1.061 = 1379 ppm. :)

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to raise the salinity is to top off with your usual water for water changes. The salinity will raise slowly through evaporation.
Never pour extra salt water in the tank because it will sink to the bottom and harm the animals living there. If it sinks into the sand it can remain there for a while.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 173 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back