Is my Scoly dying?!

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my new scoly for about 1 week now. When I put him in, he was immediately full looking (first 2 pictures)

One part of him has been a little shrunken for a couple days now. Is this okay?! (Last 3 pictures)

IMG_4439.jpeg IMG_4454.jpeg IMG_4581.jpeg IMG_4582.jpeg IMG_4583.jpeg

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks more like that section is a bit discoloured. If you can see skeleton poking through or on the edges that's when you have tissue recession. Can't see skeleton in the pictures.

I've had quite a few scollies and lost all but one to tissue recession and the one was my very first too.
I gave up on scollies, not sure if it was me killing them or they just succumb slowly to what they brought with them.

If it is bacterial you could try a iodine dip, imo I would leave her were she was and keep an eye on.
Feed her a couple times a week too when you see the polyps out(mostly at night)

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks more like that section is a bit discoloured. If you can see skeleton poking through or on the edges that's when you have tissue recession. Can't see skeleton in the pictures.

I've had quite a few scollies and lost all but one to tissue recession and the one was my very first too.
I gave up on scollies, not sure if it was me killing them or they just succumb slowly to what they brought with them.

If it is bacterial you could try a iodine dip, imo I would leave her were she was and keep an eye on.
Feed her a couple times a week too when you see the polyps out(mostly at night)
Thanks for the help! I will start feeding it only when the polyps are out. I’ve been feeding it before lights out.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! I will start feeding it only when the polyps are out. I’ve been feeding it before lights out.
Just had another look at the pictures, and in the very last picture those white tips on the edge look like the skeleton.
I see she has got some sand on her, i would recommend lifting her of the sand onto a rock coz if she always gets sand on her that'll bother her.
If she starts to show more skeleton i would do that iodine dip and hope for the best.

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my new scoly for about 1 week now. When I put him in, he was immediately full looking (first 2 pictures)

One part of him has been a little shrunken for a couple days now. Is this okay?! (Last 3 pictures)

IMG_4439.jpeg IMG_4454.jpeg IMG_4581.jpeg IMG_4582.jpeg IMG_4583.jpeg
Scolymia actually do a lot better in the rock-work rather than in the sand bed. If you have a spot where you can epoxy it into the lower section of your rockwork it will be a lot happier. For now it should be fine on the sand. If you continue to see recession, dip the Scolymia in an amino acid/iodine bath. I like to use logol’s solution at about 10-20 drops in a gallon of tank water and then some amino acids from any brand (we use polyp lab 10 drops). Then let the Scoly sit for 10 minutes. You can do this every other day. This works for pretty much any coral by the way. You can also feed your scoly weekly. I think the biggest thing for scolys though is just to keep the water chemistry stable and make sure they aren’t getting too much light.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back