Is my small clown having a white itch?

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure he is?

I bought him yesterday from LFS and ai noticed 1 white spot on him, now I see around 5.

He doesn't move much and doesn't eat.

Should I remove him fmto QT or is it too late?

20230228_194126.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm sure he is?

I bought him yesterday from LFS and ai noticed 1 white spot on him, now I see around 5.

He doesn't move much and doesn't eat.

Should I remove him fmto QT or is it too late?

20230228_194126.jpg
This is secondary bacterial lesions. Additionally there is a good amount of mucus on its face. This suggests brooklynella. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish isn’t in very good shape. Since you just bought it yesterday, you inherited the problem from the LFS.

The fish is thin and has various mucus spots, some of which may be ich. It isn’t eating which is really serious.

What other animals are in with this fish now?

What is your water quality information?

If you have a quarantine tank, you could move it there and treat with copper.

Jay

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only 2 fish on display tank.

This little sick clown and other slightly bigger clown.

There are 2 hermit crabs, 5 corals too.

Should I QT other clown too or just the sick one?

Thank you for your anwsers.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish isn’t in very good shape. Since you just bought it yesterday, you inherited the problem from the LFS.

The fish is thin and has various mucus spots, some of which may be ich. It isn’t eating which is really serious.

What other animals are in with this fish now?

What is your water quality information?

If you have a quarantine tank, you could move it there and treat with copper.

Jay

1 more clown, 2 hermit crabs and 5 corals.

Water quality is good, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates around 10ppm.

Salinity 1.025, PH 8.2.

I will QT the sick fish now.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1 more clown, 2 hermit crabs and 5 corals.

Water quality is good, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates around 10ppm.

Salinity 1.025, PH 8.2.

I will QT the sick fish now.
I assume new tank ?
If so, re-assess your readings as they cannot be zero while not impossible. I assume you are using Api kit and would encourage you to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I did not realize these are newly acquired and I would although it causes some stress. . . Take them back to LFS and assure them you were sold sick fish and Find a different LFS to purchase from.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume new tank ?
If so, re-assess your readings as they cannot be zero while not impossible. I assume you are using Api kit and would encourage you to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I did not realize these are newly acquired and I would although it causes some stress. . . Take them back to LFS and assure them you were sold sick fish and Find a different LFS to purchase from.

I removed the sick fish from tank to plastic small tank.

I had hard time catching it and I stressed out corals while doing it.

I can not return it until weekend (i work until 5pm, LFS closes 5pm and it is 45 mins away).

Should I be worry about the older clown left in tank now? Is there any treatmant I can do for it?

Thank you

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I removed the sick fish from tank to plastic small tank.

I had hard time catching it and I stressed out corals while doing it.

I can not return it until weekend (i work until 5pm, LFS closes 5pm and it is 45 mins away).

Should I be worry about the older clown left in tank now? Is there any treatmant I can do for it?

Thank you
Keep an eye on it. Should similar develop, you can do a 5 min freshwater dip to offer relief- This is not a treatment. Make sure the water you use is same temp as display tank. The other would be ruby rally pro

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on it. Should similar develop, you can do a 5 min freshwater dip to offer relief- This is not a treatment. Make sure the water you use is same temp as display tank. The other would be ruby rally pro

I just ordered QT tank, small heater and copper based medicine from amazon, should be at my place tomorrow.

Ruby rally pro will be delivered in a week.

I really care about these fish and I don't want to see them hurt.

I hope little fellow will make it.
Should I feed him in QT and with what? What temperature should I keep in QT?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just ordered QT tank, small heater and copper based medicine from amazon, should be at my place tomorrow.

Ruby rally pro will be delivered in a week.

I really care about these fish and I don't want to see them hurt.

I hope little fellow will make it.
Should I feed him in QT and with what? What temperature should I keep in QT?
In qt, flakes or a minute amount of brine shrimp will work but do monitor the water mainly for ammonia with a reliable test kit

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In qt, flakes or a minute amount of brine shrimp will work but do monitor the water mainly for ammonia with a reliable test kit

OK I will.

Can I do water changes in QT? Will ot affect the medicine?

What about QT water temp?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OK I will.

Can I do water changes in QT? Will ot affect the medicine?

What about QT water temp?
Temperature- 78-79
Water change yes- just restore medication

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back