Is my stand bowing?

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I was hoping if someone is able to tell if my stand is bowing? It’s a solid wood filing cabinet that I’m using. Tank is 15G.

When the cabinet is close, it definitely is clear that the middle is taking more weight. When I pull the cabinet out, the top wood is flat.

Any insight? Should I reinforce it? Thanks
IMG_5263.jpeg
IMG_5262.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From these pictures, no one will be able to tell you whether the stand is blowing or not- but stick on a straight bit of wood and you'll see it immediately..

Whether you should reinforce it or not is really up to your own preference and whether you want a good night's sleep :cool:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its only a 15g, "solid wood", it won't collapse overnight. That said, it wouldn't take much effort to remove the top and add another layer of a hardwood to thicken it up- for piece of mind. Maybe screw the joints together throughout the cabinet.

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for the quick and helpful replies. When I put a level next to the tank, it’s almost centred. The waterline might look funky in the pic, I think it’s possibly ah illusion cause the lid doesn’t sit flat on my tank and I’ve gotten those comments in real. I’ll take another look for the level again and make sure it’s right. Thank you!

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic with the level. I’m not super handy. It’s in the middle, but more close to the left. Is this of concern? Thanks!

IMG_5264.jpeg

reefbliss2344

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the spacing I between the dresser top and the top lip of the drawer. Then look to the far right and far left compared to the middle. You can see gaps on the ends but not in the middle which indicates natural dip of the wood. I wouldn't be concerned though. Wood looks solid.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for the quick and helpful replies. When I put a level next to the tank, it’s almost centred. The waterline might look funky in the pic, I think it’s possibly ah illusion cause the lid doesn’t sit flat on my tank and I’ve gotten those comments in real. I’ll take another look for the level again and make sure it’s right. Thank you!
the stand is bending due to weight, you can see that from the drawer top, looks like it can't take the weight

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, appreciate all your responses. I have some time off later this week so I’ll get to work and see what I can do. A lot of helpful tips here!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank stand without a flat top. Eventually, after 1 year the bottom of the tank cracked corner to corner. A catastrophic failure. Thankfully I was home at the time to mitigate by tearing it all down quickly.

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank stand without a flat top. Eventually, after 1 year the bottom of the tank cracked corner to corner. A catastrophic failure. Thankfully I was home at the time to mitigate by tearing it all down quickly.
Ah man that’s my worst nightmare. I’m changing this tank anyways to a 20G Nuvo Drop off.

I’ll be draining it this weekend possibly and putting livestock in a bucket while I see if the tank was even flat. My room has weird spots were things aren’t levelled. Then, I’ll try reinforcing it. It’s just the cabinets don’t really come out (it’s a filing cabinet with screws) and a bit older. I did check, it’s solid wood. Any tips on how to make the stand stronger? Thanks

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I showed some people my stand. They agreed it’s completely solid and thick wood. It weights a lot. As @jabberwock suggested, to see if the cabinet is leveled. Well, I guess I might have found the reason. The cabinet is not exactly smooth and has a rougher feel in the middle. I’ll attach a picture. Either way, once I drain and remove the tank, I’ll make sure to make the stand even. Then put the new tank up.

I’m an idiot though. I put so much thought into this tank only to not realize the basics. Oh well, big lesson learned

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back