Is my tail spot blenny just fat?

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9628.JPG
IMG_9629.JPG
Or is Basil perhaps a Basilette? He has grown quite large with a very pronounced tummy. Is the black spot on the tummy a gravid spot?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Males have a tail that look a little like a lyretail. I do know they can be captive bred. Curious to see what others say.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn't eat anything I put in the tank but pecks constantly at the glass/rock. His fave thing is to catch the scrapings when I clean the glass:)

I just hope he isn't a she and is eggbound. He has grown quite rapidly, with the top photo being the most recent.

So from the tail, does he look like a she?

OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no!:eek: So sorry to see that. What kind of coral is it? Mushroom?

Aagh don't say intestinal blockage!
I'll just put it down to over-indulgence at the algae buffet then...he is a great little, er, relatively speaking, guy.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll just put it down to over-indulgence at the algae buffet then...he is a great little, er, relatively speaking, guy.

Parascolymia vitiensis aka button coral

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does it go away sometimes?

OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, he's just steadily grown fatter, and larger overall.

The first blenny I had was a lawnmower and she wasted away because I guess there was not enough algae in my tank. It was stressful when she wouldn't eat anything I offered. I was worried about the tail spot but read they are better eaters. Boy that was an understatement!

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, he's just steadily grown fatter, and larger overall.

The first blenny I had was a lawnmower and she wasted away because I guess there was not enough algae in my tank. It was stressful when she wouldn't eat anything I offered. I was worried about the tail spot but read they are better eaters. Boy that was an understatement!

My lawn mower eats anything. He gets pudgy when he gulps air or eats too much mysis.

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great picture! Unfortunate circumstances but still neat.
I have a tail spot blenny going through the same thing, not being eaten, just a huge belly. I QTed mine and medicated for the possibility of a parasite and i really cut back on food. I did this for two weeks and nothing... still fat. It's got me thinking it's got to be a tumor or intestinal blockage. I'm feeding LRS reef blend. I massaged its belly to see if I could break up the blockage with no result... seemed logical, right? Still bloated. Its been in the tank for 2.5-3 years now. I'm thinking its health will decline from here.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had tons of obese fish, I find them charming! That just looks like a chunky blenny to me!

OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to post an amusing update on my blenny, who is still very fat. Basil only this week decided that mysis is also delicious & snags them from the water column at dinner time. Great o_O...
So just now I’m looking at the tank & see he is trailing a poop that is the same length as his body! What ;Jawdrop
I am not exaggerating. He’s 2.5” long! So he dives into his shell house but while turning around manages to wrap the poop around himself. He finally gets annoyed, grabs part of the poop in his mouth, swims out, throws the length of it away into the depths of the rocks, and gets back into his house.
Good grief.

B8578F83-EB6B-4C48-AF57-2AB6E2FABEF8.jpeg

Last edited:

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to post an amusing update on my blenny, who is still very fat. Basil only this week decided that mysis is also delicious & snags them from the water column at dinner time. Great o_O...
So just now I’m looking at the tank & see he is trailing a poop that is the same length as his body! What ;Jawdrop
I am not exaggerating. He’s 2.5” long! So he dives into his shell house but while turning around manages to wrap the poop around himself. He finally gets annoyed, grabs part of the poop in his mouth, swims out, throws the length of it away into the depths of the rocks, and gets back into his house.
Good grief.

B8578F83-EB6B-4C48-AF57-2AB6E2FABEF8.jpeg
Mine is also very fat and sometimes has stringy poop hanging off him. I've seen mine do that same maneuver. I wouldn't worry about the poop unless it's pure white. That could mean internal parasites. You could try to feed him a blanched pea. Kind of like a fish laxative is how it was described to me. But if he's not really taking things from the water column maybe that's not really feasible. When mine gets ungodly fat I just reduce feedings. But if he's getting that way just on algae, not much you can do about it. I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t worried about the poop - it was a very robust green colour. I just couldn’t believe how long it was, as you can see it trailing out of his shell and into the distance, haha. Yeah I can’t control his diet as he is picking at the rocks all day. He started eating just the tiny bits of mysis but soon chowed down on the big full pieces.

Back