Is My Tank About to Bust a Seam?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 50ext that is level, but I noticed this afternoon that the left panel has slughtly pulled away from the front panel on the bottom right. All other panels and seams look good. is my tank about to blow a seam? We have already emailed IM.

20240316_161343.jpg 20240316_161331.jpg

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like you need a tank swap asap.
Thank you internet stranger for confirming our view on this. Just spent the last 3.5 hours moving rock, livestock, basic apex equipment, and a skimmer with new Eggcrate stand to a 40g spare tank we had from moving. It could be the anxiety, but we swear the gap got worse as we were working on the move.

Upvote 0

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully im gets back to you I am ordering one and want to see how they handle this. How old is the tank?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully im gets back to you I am ordering one and want to see how they handle this. How old is the tank?
The tank is about 17 months old. I am hoping they handle it well, but we may take this opportunity to upgrade to a larger CADE. Then we'd use the hopeful replacement for a seahorse tank. Really unsure where the issue is. The tank was nearly perfectly level.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current temporary holding tank while all this gets sorted out. Really glad I cleaded and wiped the glass down this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_20240316_195730.jpg
    IMG_20240316_195730.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally had a chance to inspect everything and I think the stand staded failing. This was square when the tanm was placed on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240316_205659_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240316_205659_Gallery.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI if you are interested in new larger tank

Couple of us got ours they are excellent quality and instead of some mass produced cheap-o stand, these stands are hand built by a cabinetmaker in California, and have 4 load bearing vertical supports where most mass produced stands are 2 or 3. Marine grade plywood and covered in nice wood grain laminate on all exterior and interior surfaces

CurrentUSA started with 30 available and have about 18 or 19 left

1600$ gets you an 83 gallon rimless aquarium with low iron glass on 3 sides, ghost overflow, cabinet, sump, 9g acrylic ato, preassembled plumbing kit and nationwide shipping. Avg order is deliver within a week of the order date. This setup is almost 3000$ from other companies

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, 48 hours after the emergency move and our semi storm clownfish is MIA. There is too much rock in the tank for us to tell if he is hiding, missing, stuck, of dead. This entire fiasco has been an absolute pain.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM emailed us back within 30 minutes of them opening, but despite the site asking for photos, they want a video. I assume this is to prove we own the tank more than proof of an issue. We can't get this to them until closer to 5pm est, but they are on the west coast and we are hopeful we will get a reply before they close at 8pm est.

Upvote 0

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM emailed us back within 30 minutes of them opening, but despite the site asking for photos, they want a video. I assume this is to prove we own the tank more than proof of an issue. We can't get this to them until closer to 5pm est, but they are on the west coast and we are hopeful we will get a reply before they close at 8pm est.
Thanks for the update I hope all goes well for you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have sent 2 videos and at least a dozen photos. They keep repeating that the warranty is only for a year and currently believe it is just the bezel. No other seams have the silicone breaking away from the other panes. I have accepted that this will become a fight.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM replied to us today stating that because the tank has not experienced a full blowout and the front part of the silicone is still attached that it is structually sound and refuse to provide fuether assistance. We will never us another IM product or recommend them to anyone. You shouldn't need a full seam failure to obtain assistance.

Upvote 0

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM replied to us today stating that because the tank has not experienced a full blowout and the front part of the silicone is still attached that it is structually sound and refuse to provide fuether assistance. We will never us another IM product or recommend them to anyone. You shouldn't need a full seam failure to obtain assistance.

That’s not good to hear considering that i have a 200g from them. Sorry for this. Perhaps show them the blowout after you get a new tank to replace it. Did they at least offer a discount on a replacement tank?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not good to hear considering that i have a 200g from them. Sorry for this. Perhaps show them the blowout after you get a new tank to replace it. Did they at least offer a discount on a replacement tank?
They offered absolutely nothing. I have requested a call from them and hope to go into more detail over the phone when/if they call.

We were going to buy a larger tank from them when we moved too. I know one tank isn't much of a loss for them, but would be nice if they did anything.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back