Is My Tank About to Bust a Seam?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 50ext that is level, but I noticed this afternoon that the left panel has slughtly pulled away from the front panel on the bottom right. All other panels and seams look good. is my tank about to blow a seam? We have already emailed IM.

20240316_161343.jpg 20240316_161331.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not between the glass, it's not structural. Those red arrows in the recent pics look like scraper damage to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not between the glass, it's not structural. Those red arrows in the recent pics look like scraper damage to me.
It isn't scraper damage.you would have to clean near the edges to cause scraper damage. That is an optical illusion from the bezel being visible since the silicone began pulling away from the seam.

This is between the glass.

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't scraper damage.you would have to clean near the edges to cause scraper damage. That is an optical illusion from the bezel being visible since the silicone began pulling away from the seam.

This is between the glass.
What bezel are you talking about? I personally don’t see any separation… take a picture of the actual face of the silicone damage.. that will be the only way you can tell if it’s separating..

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those red arrows are not separation… I think redsea have instilled a fear in you lol.. I get it! I check mine all the time because of them haha! That’s just a cosmetic bead inside the tank to make it look cleaner and it’s been nicked from a cleaner or snail or urchin etc.. it’s nothing to be worried about.
IMG_3149.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with a really friendly person at IM this evening and explained the issue and sent a video where we can put part of a credit card between the seams. They spoke woth the warranty team and because of the short life of the tank and their own expectation that it should last longer, they are sending us a new tank.

Upvote 0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with a really friendly person at IM this evening and explained the issue and sent a video where we can put part of a credit card between the seams. They spoke woth the warranty team and because of the short life of the tank and their own expectation that it should last longer, they are sending us a new tank.
Wow, well done !

Upvote 0

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like you need a tank swap asap.
+1 +1 +1 --- It's time for a new tank. And I mean now. I'm sorry your having difficultly with the seller. Never a good thing. Remember that EVERYTHING in life is negotiable. And if you get further into your seller's management, you may get better results. They ultimately want to keep your present and future business. And word of mouth is a powerful thing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 +1 +1 --- It's time for a new tank. And I mean now. I'm sorry your having difficultly with the seller. Never a good thing. Remember that EVERYTHING in life is negotiable. And if you get further into your seller's management, you may get better results. They ultimately want to keep your present and future business. And word of mouth is a powerful thing.
They finally replaced it. We did have to buy new bulkheads because they shanged the hole size to use different bulkheads. We hope to move everything back into the tank this weekend.

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey was this tank in warranty, or out of warranty period when they agreed to replace it

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then red sea needs to see that behavior, thanks for the clarity.

so we get to see a non red sea tank break here, can happen to anyone. but instead of trying to partially charge for the OOW replacement, they do the good honorable thing, since breaks aren't left/right/up/down all day long for this brand they can afford to do the right thing, or maybe they're just willing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then red sea needs to see that behavior, thanks for the clarity.

so we get to see a non red sea tank break here, can happen to anyone. but instead of trying to partially charge for the OOW replacement, they do the good honorable thing, since breaks aren't left/right/up/down all day long for this brand they can afford to do the right thing, or maybe they're just willing.
There were some issues during the initial email correspondence and they had originally not wanted to offer anything. I asked if I could have a call with a manager. After a few shirt calls and discussing the issue, they spoke to the warranty team and had a tank sent out to us. Honestly, moving forward we will buy the tank directly from IM so we can get the ectra warranty that you can't purchase when ordering through BRS. I would not say it was an easy process, but they were friendly, understanding, and eventually helpful. The email correspondence were essentially 'we want more photos/videos, but also the tank is out if warranty so we won't help you'.

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent. we needed to know all those details when shopping for best sellers/sources

Upvote 0

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have sent 2 videos and at least a dozen photos. They keep repeating that the warranty is only for a year and currently believe it is just the bezel. No other seams have the silicone breaking away from the other panes. I have accepted that this will become a fight.
@brandon429 IM as well now I wonder if we’ll see more of this moving forward

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great - I'm curious, though - where can you insert a credit card? (i.e. for everyone - can you post the video)

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They finally replaced it. We did have to buy new bulkheads because they shanged the hole size to use different bulkheads. We hope to move everything back into the tank this weekend.
Great - that you're getting a new tank!!!! IMHO - others are correct - the red arrows look like scraper damage - Or are a victim of the worms that dig through silicone (that was a thread some time ago). Still interested in the video!

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an IM 50ext that is level, but I noticed this afternoon that the left panel has slughtly pulled away from the front panel on the bottom right. All other panels and seams look good. is my tank about to blow a seam? We have already emailed IM.

20240316_161343.jpg 20240316_161331.jpg
BTW - the posts are somewhat out of order for me - but This picture IMHO does NOT look like scraper damage. Note how it starts as an intermittent issue - down to full separation on the bottom. I don't know that It means the seam is 'breaking' - but I would be worried - and glad that they (if I'm reading correctly) - are replacing the tank for you!!

Upvote 0

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something similar on a @Planet Aquariums tank, I've kept a picture of it for the past 10 months or so and it hasn't gotten any worse.

Planet said it was cosmetic, and I feel like if it was an issue it would have progressed and leaked long ago.

Just something to think about.

Edit: original photos were from May 23 of last year, so almost a year now and in the most recent one you can see those little seam flaws haven’t changed at all and

IMG_0866.jpeg IMG_0867.jpeg IMG_0865.jpeg IMG_1947.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back