Is my tank better off without me...

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on vacation for almost two weeks. Did water changes less than 12 hours before walking out the door. I left the house on 76 with the air conditioner. Normally that’s the temp during the day this time of year. I had auto feeders on both tanks. I don’t use them when I’m home. Every three days I had someone come in to feed frozen, same amount that I normally feed and packaged accordingly to make it easy. Also my short list to ensure nothing was overflowing. While I was gone my PH was up about .20. Which led me to the joking title above. Thoughts?

I also hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

748BA0CE-CC16-4798-BE7A-31BCAAD2BE93.jpeg

F6B8A7EF-CB5B-4F34-B41B-9D01B5942FD5.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on vacation for almost two weeks. Did water changes less than 12 hours before walking out the door. I left the house on 76 with the air conditioner. Normally that’s the temp during the day this time of year. I had auto feeders on both tanks. I don’t use them when I’m home. Every three days I had someone come in to feed frozen, same amount that I normally feed and packaged accordingly to make it easy. Also my short list to ensure nothing was overflowing. While I was gone my PH was up about .20. Which led me to the joking title above. Thoughts?

I also hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

748BA0CE-CC16-4798-BE7A-31BCAAD2BE93.jpeg

F6B8A7EF-CB5B-4F34-B41B-9D01B5942FD5.jpeg
The problem isn't you being home, the problem is that you breathe! :p

Keep breathing though, you will enjoy the aquarium more if you do! ;)

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While your gone there is no Co2 being produced which is a main cause of chronic low pH during the summer months. My pH fluctuates between the summer when the AC is on which is recirculated air and no school for my son. During the winter when the heat is on which pulls fresh o2 from outside and less people in the house during the day the pH is easily .2-.3 higher at its peak.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the tank is better off without you, but meddling too much can have it's downfalls. ;)

BTW your pH is fine. There's a wide range of acceptable limits.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the tank is better off without you, but meddling too much can have it's downfalls. ;)

BTW your pH is fine. There's a wide range of acceptable limits.

Agreed, don’t bother chasing for higher pH, it will drive you mad. I tried doing it until I realized it’s something we and the tank can deal with. One thing that can help is if your able to leave a window cracked open about an inch or two. It will help to bring in some fresh O2 while you are home. My house is a 2001 and sealed tight, I notice the same issues. Since opening the window my pH has risen from an average of 7.8 to an average of 8.0.

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, I guessed it was the CO2.

I don't chase PH, been there done that :)

It was just funny when you think about it, maintain the tank but don't stay around to look at it :)

Everyone in the house has allergies so we always have the air, heat or fan running. If my Dad was still living to hear me say "I keep the windows closed because that fresh air can make me sick", lol His eyes would still be rolling :) Have a great day all!

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing the difference a little breathing makes. I can actually watch the Ph on my tank drop when my wife is baking.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back