Is my tank going to burst?

Pens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought this Aqueon 29 Gallon Tank from Petco and when I had initially set it up, it was bowing just a tiny bit. Now I just noticed this warping...I think. I have never seen it before but it might’ve been there the whole time. I’m not too sure. Should I be worried? I’ve attached a picture of what I’m worried about.
4843AA87-9F0B-49C6-9F86-D69ECBFCCC7E.jpeg

Also, I’m new to the hobby and this forum. I’m very eager to start a successful reef aquarium. Right now, it’s a fish only tank but eventually I want to add corals. Thank you for the help in advance!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a long level and hold it against the glass.
If it bows more than 1/8” I would be worried.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very surprised if the tank glass was bowing and causing those marks. It's probably an imperfection in the plastic rim. The plastic rim on your tank may have just come out of the mold in a strange way. Or maybe the tank was transported in such a way that the plastic got pinched and deformed.

OP
OP
P

Pens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so it turns out the “warping” was there for a while. Here’s a pic of the tank I took a couple of days ago of the bowing and a picture of it that I took about 3-4 days ago (before I noticed the warping). When I walk up to the tank, I don’t even notice the warping and it feels flat, so it’s not bulging out or anything. I also looked at a picture of the tank when I first got it and saw the warping. Now I don’t think it’s a big issue because you can only see the warping at a certain angle. I’m starting to think that the trim just came out of the mold like that when it was made like chipmunkofdoom2 suggested.

81D09DEC-9FE5-4C74-9CE2-F842268FDD7B.jpeg

B2DB4D98-0CA0-47D5-A2C1-1C5E3B047C26.png

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so it turns out the “warping” was there for a while. Here’s a pic of the tank I took a couple of days ago of the bowing and a picture of it that I took about 3-4 days ago (before I noticed the warping). When I walk up to the tank, I don’t even notice the warping and it feels flat, so it’s not bulging out or anything. I also looked at a picture of the tank when I first got it and saw the warping. Now I don’t think it’s a big issue because you can only see the warping at a certain angle. I’m starting to think that the trim just came out of the mold like that when it was made like chipmunkofdoom2 suggested.

81D09DEC-9FE5-4C74-9CE2-F842268FDD7B.jpeg

B2DB4D98-0CA0-47D5-A2C1-1C5E3B047C26.png

On the last picture I'd say it's bowing outward, but I have a tank that has a bow like that in it by design.

I'd take everything out - get a new tank, just to be sure.

It's easier to do it now, because the tank is empty. It'd be horrible to come home to a empty tank & a wet floor, both for the livestock & for yourself.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 That would always bother me.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above, replace the tank.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the glass flexing is normal -- sumtpin ain't right with that plastic moulding.

If the moulding is faulty, it could introduce a point load or pressure point to the glass in that area and cause a failure down the road. I agree with the above - replace it now. The tank is the cheap part of the hobby.

OP
OP
P

Pens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice everyone, I will be contacting Aqueon about these issues!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back