Is my toadstool a goner?

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was the first coral I put in my tank about a month ago. It hasn’t had great polyp extension the last few weeks, but everything I read said “toadstools are just grumpy, give it time”. So I waited. Now it’s starting to lean over, and the base has really extended and looks weird toward the bottom. I’m afraid it’s a goner. It’s a new tank but my parameters have been in range and I have no idea what else could cause this “easy” coral to be so unhappy in my tank. It’s about 18” below a radion g3 pro running the softy/lps schedule.
C48B4930-ED9C-46E1-BE84-046923B99987.jpeg

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a goner. But something is off in your tank. Nitrates or something. They are hardy corals. Just make sure things are all in line.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the first coral I put in my tank about a month ago. It hasn’t had great polyp extension the last few weeks, but everything I read said “toadstools are just grumpy, give it time”. So I waited. Now it’s starting to lean over, and the base has really extended and looks weird toward the bottom. I’m afraid it’s a goner. It’s a new tank but my parameters have been in range and I have no idea what else could cause this “easy” coral to be so unhappy in my tank. It’s about 18” below a radion g3 pro running the softy/lps schedule.
C48B4930-ED9C-46E1-BE84-046923B99987.jpeg
it took a month, for one of mine to pull it together, while the other one was happy as a lark. they're definitely weird

OP
OP
hannernanner

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My other corals are doing well (only a few ricordea, a Duncan and some zoas) except that the zoas won't open, which would also point to something with the water chemistry... but what? I would post photos but they're all ticked off now as I just did a big water change.

I have no idea what it could be. I've been testing nitrates and phosphates every other day, I'm dosing both to keep nitrates at 3ppm and phos at .03ppm. Salinity is on point. Testing alk every other day as well. I make 0 tds water and use that only. I'm so frustrated! What could it be if every measurable quality of my water appears to be good?!

I dipped the zoas in a peroxide dip, as recommended other places here, but they have yet to open after nearly two weeks in the tank! I know new tanks need to mature, but this is enough to drive me nuts.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not a goner. They are good indicators of something off chemistry wise. However it could be chemical warfare, flow (they like lots of indirect), dinos, too much fiddling, lots of reasons why they will close up. I have had one close up over 3-4 months and is big and gorgeous afterwards.
If zoas are not happy either, look at doing a good amount of water change with correctly calibrated salinity and vacuum any sand or clean up detritus. Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back