Is my torch splitting?

Pea Puffer 67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers. I recently joined the hobby and purchased a torch coral. It’s been doing great, however I think it’s splitting and may be dying? I was sold this “Short Tentacle Torch” at my local fish store, and didn’t really know these guys existed. But thought I might as well give it a shot since my other corals are doing fantastic. Can anyone tell me what’s going on? I believe the skeleton of the coral is showing and turning brown and white? It used to be fine, but ever since it started splitting the tentacles have receded substantially. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!!

image.jpg 88641C30-DE21-44E0-A318-DE1584467810.png

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This looks like euphyllia cristata. related to the torch. I never had any luck keeping mine, so I can't give any advice on this. It most likely is attempting to finish the split of the connected heads.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This actually happened to me. I had a Cristata (Grape coral or Short Tentacle torch). And it began splitting and receding. Sometimes Euhphyllia will close up when growing new mouths or when splitting. But sometimes Low Magnesium, and or Phosphates being too high can cause 'bad receding'. I would just check parameters and possibly feed it some food it can consume. But the fact that it is open is a good sign. But mine just slowly looked worse, and one of the heads began dying. But hopefully yours will pull through. Sometimes torches especially if they are from the wild can be finnicky.

OP
OP
P

Pea Puffer 67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like euphyllia cristata. related to the torch. I never had any luck keeping mine, so I can't give any advice on this. It most likely is attempting to finish the split of the connected heads.
Yes thank you. Couldn’t find the name lol. Seems to be a finicky coral.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes thank you. Couldn’t find the name lol. Seems to be a finicky coral.
As the poster above you said, do check water parameters for anything high or low.
They are easy to care for. I was just lazy and stopped trying to mount the coral on my rocks. My urchin always was able to remove the coral. Just that one. As weird as it is.
Not as finicky as the indo or aussie torches.

GL, they are beautiful!

Edit: hammers, frogspawns, torches will make you panic while they are separating heads. But, when in doubt, running some tests and if it all looks good. Try not to worry. :)

OP
OP
P

Pea Puffer 67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This actually happened to me. I had a Cristata (Grape coral or Short Tentacle torch). And it began splitting and receding. Sometimes Euhphyllia will close up when growing new mouths or when splitting. But sometimes Low Magnesium, and or Phosphates being too high can cause 'bad receding'. I would just check parameters and possibly feed it some food it can consume. But the fact that it is open is a good sign. But mine just slowly looked worse, and one of the heads began dying. But hopefully yours will pull through. Sometimes torches especially if they are from the wild can be finnicky.
Thank you for the advice. It looks to be my high phosphates. It looks to be around .15 ppm

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. It looks to be my high phosphates. It looks to be around .15 ppm
That could be it. That is not crazy high. But it still should be lowered. As long as it is at 0.1 or below you should be good (definitely aim for below 0.1 though).
I use the Red Sea Kit for my Alk, Ca, and Mag. It was like 40 ish dollars for the pack. Alk is pretty easy and accurate. Ca seems accurate. And Mag is a bit of a pain but it is accurate so I cannot complain too much. Since you do not have to test Mag very often.
(Wasn't sure if you already had test kits for those elements).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back