is my young fungia splitting?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JFrar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JFrar

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2014
Messages
587
Reaction score
153
Location
florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo(11).jpg
kinda funny i just used paint to do the circles but they are the 2 heads... the coral has been getting misshaped around the top right side where it looks like its cutting its self off, its been showing this sign for about a month and i just noticed 2 heads tonight
 
I have seen plates with multiple mouths. Not sure but i think it is another variety of fungia. There is also a plate coral type called diaseris. I have 2 and they self frag. Not sure if yours is a fungia or diaseris. Is it totally round or slightly oval shaped.
 
That's not a diaseris but as Tab said there is a species with multiple mouths. I can't recall the name right now but a little Google will do the trick. This one looks like a common fungia or cycloseris. I've seen some weird things over the years...zoas with 2 mouths, double head acans with one mouth...the list goes on. You might just have a "special" coral with a spunky personality :cool:
 
thanks guys, ya my LFS was telling me that its not normal for fungia to split.. i was just really excited. nevertheless like you said Joe it will be a special fungia :) planning on feeding it tonight to see it both mouths will open to eat. Deformity is welcomed in the reef business lol
 
photo(13).jpg
much more obvious of the mouths here
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new