Is NeoPhos supposed to be blue?

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opened a new bottle of neophos and poured it into my measuring container before putting it in my tank...and it was blue. my last few bottles weren't blue lol but this bottle was sealed and brand new. it expires in 2027 and i got it from amazon (red flag i guess).

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine have greenish tint but never blue...I'd say send it back to amazon and have them ship a new one
Yep it’s blue lol. I still have some left from my previous bottle and it’s clear so I’m definitely afraid to use it.

Attachments

• IMG_9801.jpeg
    IMG_9801.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 30

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing? I received a bottle 4 days ago and it was also blue which i thought was strange since the last bottle was clear. I have been dosing it for a while to maintain my phosphates and after dosing the new bottle for the last 4 days i just checked my water and it looks like phosphates are bottomed out again.... now I'm worried there is a bad batch of neophos out there

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a test. Took 8 ounces of water and put 3ml of the new neophos into it. Then tested it using ULR phosphorus hanna checker. The liquid turned dark blue and it read 200 ppb... that might be the max the checker can go to. So it definitely has phosphate... I will continue to dose it and check again in a few days. At this point I am dosing about 60ml daily into 250 gallons of water... it was at 0.02 ppm and is not at 0 ppb again.

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cracked a bottle open, and it’s blue as well….was there any negative effects from using it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cracked a bottle open, and it’s blue as well….was there any negative effects from using it?

Depends on what the blue is. No ingredient that should be there is blue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell says it’s normal, used to be clear but now should have a light blue color.
I have a lot of issue with Brightwell’s understanding of their own products, and I’ll add this to the list.

I personally would not use it. Copper is one of the few ingredients that would turn blue.

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of issue with Brightwell’s understanding of their own products, and I’ll add this to the list.

I personally would not use it. Copper is one of the few ingredients that would turn blue.
Ok I will toss it, thanks Randy. I’ve been using it for a long time, has never been blue. I used it this morning and hope it doesn’t have copper in it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a good recommendation on something I can dose with instead?
Food grade or reagent grade sodium phosphate. Loudwolf or other brands from Amazon.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back