is NPS bacteria good?

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a dry rock tank and I wanna get as much "good" bacteria and biodiversity as possible. Is PNS bottle bacteria stuff good?

edit: PNS
Depends on what you're looking to use it for. PNS ProBio is meant to be a coral/invert food primarily. If you're looking to cycle/condition a new sand bed, PNS Substrate Sauce is what you'd be looking for. Regarding biodiversity, it's different than the above-mentioned products which I'm pretty sure are all either nitrifiers or organoheterotrophs. Substrate Sauce contains the purple non-sulfur bacteria Rhodopseudomonas and Rhodospirillum (denitrifiers and general-use probiotics). Both species are naturally abundant on natural healthy coral reefs. Anyway, in case you might be interested, AlgaeBarn is running a Valentine's Day special on Sauce today: https://www.algaebarn.com/coupons-and-deals

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. For a new tank, start with substrate sauce.

Also FYI, PNS ProBio is actually not a coral/invert food primarily. Thats PNS YelloSno. PNS serves several functions you can find on its information page on algaebarn.com. For very in depth article, I can't remember pns's parent company, but google/find them and there's even more information.

I believe these products have been key in helping me to go no water changes.

They recommend 1.25ml/gallon of PROBIO, and 1ml/gallon of yellosno. And using this system daily, but alternating product every other day. (probio day 1, yellosno day 2)

Once tank is developed, I would only use substrate sauce when your phosphates are running very low, as a kind of phosphate dose. PROBIO can get phosphate lower then you might want. 1 dose of substrate sauce raises phosphate by .03. But substrate sauce has several other benefits as well.

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you do order and get on regimen, order from algae barn, and google algae barn coupon for instant 15% off. Also, algae barn sends you free mysis as a new customer

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 gal. IDK if I can go no WC (no dilution or sump)
1. For a new tank, start with substrate sauce.

Also FYI, PNS ProBio is actually not a coral/invert food primarily. Thats PNS YelloSno. PNS serves several functions you can find on its information page on algaebarn.com. For very in depth article, I can't remember pns's parent company, but google/find them and there's even more information.

I believe these products have been key in helping me to go no water changes.

They recommend 1.25ml/gallon of PROBIO, and 1ml/gallon of yellosno. And using this system daily, but alternating product every other day. (probio day 1, yellosno day 2)

Once tank is developed, I would only use substrate sauce when your phosphates are running very low, as a kind of phosphate dose. PROBIO can get phosphate lower then you might want. 1 dose of substrate sauce raises phosphate by .03. But substrate sauce has several other benefits as well.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back