Is orange on Dragon's Breath a good or bad sign?

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently started a macroalgae tank and ended up getting a large chunk of dragon's breath. I cut some off to see how fast it would grow from a smaller piece tied to rubble. I noticed the piece I cut is now showing orange. If I recall, some dragon's breath has nice bright orange tips, but a few years back, I also remember receiving a frag of it that came shipped and it was completely orange and dead according to seller who did replace. So, is it on its way to dying if orange has started to appear?

PXL_20230211_220014114.jpg PXL_20230211_215916672.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When red macro turn iridescent orange, it is dying. Does this macro feel slightly calcified or ys it slippery to the touch. It looks like Gracilaria Hayi

Not this
One of the most popular and easily obtainable species of Halymenia for the aquarium. It features striking flame shaped blades and pinkish/red coloration. Like all species of Halymenia, it is gelatinous and smooth in texture and very delicate. It is most often collected as free floating specimens or attached to harvested live rock as it grows quite deep. Single plants can grow very large and reach heights of almost 20" or more. H. Floresia requires good water quality and moderate to high flow to maintain its slippery fleshy blades. In the aquarium they will seldom attach so they must be anchored or allowed to tumble as free floating specimens. H. Floresia is very palatable and is readily eaten by both Tangs and Angel fish.

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea thanks for the reply. It definitely looks more like the Gracilaria Hayi. There are so many red algae that look similar to me and with common names adds even more confusion in identifying.
The second macro you posted doesn't look like either of my "Dragon's Breath" (see photo of recent purchase) and the info has it as Dragon's Tongue which doesn't look like what was sold to me as Dragon's Tongue (my recent red macro id post/see photo).
I will check how it feels and hopefully it's not dying but due to high lighting like stated on your link. That's why I get confused on whether or not Orange is good or bad. At what point is it not lighting but rather dying?

PXL_20230211_012311811~2.jpg
PXL_20230208_052634742.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange tips is not dying on fast growing dragons breath subjected to intense light. All varieties of Dragons Breath are in the family Halymenia and will be slippery to the touch.
@Subsea thanks for the reply. It definitely looks more like the Gracilaria Hayi. There are so many red algae that look similar to me and with common names adds even more confusion in identifying.
The second macro you posted doesn't look like either of my "Dragon's Breath" (see photo of recent purchase) and the info has it as Dragon's Tongue which doesn't look like what was sold to me as Dragon's Tongue (my recent red macro id post/see photo).
I will check how it feels and hopefully it's not dying but due to high lighting like stated on your link. That's why I get confused on whether or not Orange is good or bad. At what point is it not lighting but rather dying?

@Dan_P is more qualified to answer that.

Here is what Russ Kronwettet, diver/owner of live plants says about Red Macroalgae

Marine Plants in The Aquarium" is an online resource for the identification and care of marine macroalgae and seagrasses in the saltwater aquarium. The guide features over 70 of the most commonly available species of marine plants with full color photographs, detailed descriptions and aquarium care. Many of the species included in the guide are available to purchase online from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. Click on each link below to begin the exploration.

Table of Contents

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RED MACROALGAE (RHODOPHYTA)
redalgae.bmp
The genus Rhodophyta is the largest and most diverse group of tropical and temperate marine algae with more than 2,000 species worldwide. Their dominant pigment is phycoerythrin, which gives off rich shades of red, orange and blue. Red macro algae are some of the most varied and striking of all marine algae and are highly sought after as aquarium specimens. Identification can be difficult in some species, such as Gracilaria, and some have slight variations depending on the location and depth. Although this index is not a complete listing, it represents species that are commonly available or sought after by marine aquarists. As new species become available to the industry they will be added.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what point is it not lighting but rather dying?
This is a hard one to call.

Bleaching algae with strong light is harming the algae and can kill it. Bleaching of algae might coincide with another issue not related to light but it is not a good sign.

Maybe your question can be restated as “how do I identify algae stress factors in my aquarium other than light?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@goody
Carlsbad, California is where I originally I got Red Ogo, which is Gracilaria Parvispora or as IndoPacific SeaFarm in Hawaii calls it Tang Heaven Red.

Several things effect color rendition. Some people juice it up with technology & color spectrum. Dana Riddle is more qualified to answer that. I will address intensity of light: less is always better for me. Systems respond best when not pushed with intense lights or elevated temperatures. Thank you @vlangle for tip about elevated temperature favoring bacteria over photosynthetic organisms:

When I get Bortacladia from the divers, it is a rich burgundy in color, indicating low light intensity, as it is collected in 30’ to 130’ of water. When subjected to brighter light, the color rendition of Botacladia is fire engine red and under intense lights it is an unattractive yellow/orange,

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think I had too much light on it. I have since turned it down and running a 2 hour shorter photoperiod than I was and the orange has subsided. Reading these depth they were collected at also has me leaning towards too much light

I started this tank with equipment I had lying around the garage, so my lights are a couple of old 22w Fluval Sea lights and an ACKE led 12w full spectrum light. The fluvals are on lowest setting, but I might still have too much lighting and the wrong spectrum.

Any good light recommendations? Not looking to spend too much. I will most likely turn this tank into my refugium when I get my 80g build up and running.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have some of the red macro in last picture. Got it from live-plants “red macro” grab bag

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some red macro, sold as dragons tounge. It's literally bright orange almost everywhere, but I know for a fact it's not dying. In actuality it's growing. I've had it for 3 weeks, and that whole time it's had neon orange ends. There is a bunch of new growth, not a single piece of it has died back or disintegrated.
PXL_20230215_215249058.MP.jpg

PXL_20230212_052635134.MP.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some red macro, sold as dragons tounge. It's literally bright orange almost everywhere, but I know for a fact it's not dying. In actuality it's growing. I've had it for 3 weeks, and that whole time it's had neon orange ends. There is a bunch of new growth, not a single piece of it has died back or disintegrated.

Gorgeous seaweed. Did anyone use Latin names, it would help a lot.

Please provide a close up. Also, what light spectrum are you using and what PAR intensity?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note the color change of Gracilaria Hayi.

First pictures are under 10K color rendition with 45W over 55G Caribbean mixed garden lagoon.

Second tank at 75G was under 10K color rendition with four 45W light bars of more intense PAR.

Last picture is an experiment using intense 13W over 1G jar with 6K color rendition

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Beautiful! What kind of lighting? And what's the green that is covering your rock?

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! What kind of lighting? And what's the green that is covering your rock?
It was sold to me as just "caulerpa" but I believe it is Caulerpa brachypus. I have a hygger full spectrum light on the tank. Typical freshwater light.

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note the color change of Gracilaria Hayi.

First pictures are under 10K color rendition with 45W over 55G Caribbean mixed garden lagoon.

Second tank at 75G was under 10K color rendition with four 45W light bars of more intense PAR.

Last picture is an experiment using intense 13W over 1G jar with 6K color rendition

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Interesting. Love the 1 gallon jar experiment. That one looks like it has the most orange of your photos. Maybe I should try an experiment and have one of the Fluval LED lights on full power and the other turned away down.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back