Is pickling lime a bad idea?

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is pickling lime a bad idea? I have been using it for quite some time. It is not expensive and easy to find. If it is, what type of Kalc would you reccommend?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is perfectly fine, if dosed in an appropriate manner (meaning slowly).

Limewater (kalkwasser) is the only calciuma nd alkalintiy supplement that I've used on my tank for the past 19 years. :)

Any food grade lime or quicklime is fine. For years I used bulk material from the Mississippi Lime Company (about $0.50 a pound). Mrs. Wages is also fine.

I currently use calcium hydroxide from BRS. :)

These have have more:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Chemistry And The Aquarium: Metals In Limewater ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

The Degradation of Limewater in Air - Reefkeeping.com

Aquarium Chemistry: Magnesium And Strontium In Limewater ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Chemistry And The Aquarium: How To Select A Calcium And Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

OP
OP
kv69

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon system that uses close to 10 gallons of limewater a week. My Alkalinty keeps dropping. And I have recent white spots and bleaching on some sps. I like to try to stay around 9 dKH but it keeps dropping by .5 or so weekly.

I usually only add reef cabonate to get back to 9 dKH, but as I research, I see some people are also adding calcium as well.

I WC with ESV B ionic at 1.025 sg. 5 gallons every 4 or 5 days.

my calcium is steady at 430 and my mag is around 1390.

I currently use two level teaspoons per gallon of rodi water, the article says three, so I think I will try the three teaspoons before I try vinegar addition.

Does this seem to be the right course of action?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only two teaspoons will dissolve without vinegar.

Adding some extra alkalinity is a fine plan. If your extra need is only 0.5 dKH per week, the calcium decline that matches that will only be a few ppm per week, so it isn't worth worrying about unless you notice a decline. :)

Big Wave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix up ten to twenty gallons of Mrs. Wages at a time in a Brute in the basement. An electromagnetic dosing pump pumps it upstairs to my reef as needed. My question is, should I clean out the old gunk between batches? I've just been adding more powder and RODI to whatever is left in there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back