questions on CO2 Media and/or alternative?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another dead horse to beat but I did do a reasonable search 1st: I’ll spare us all the CO2 media threads I read through and found this:
https://www.shopmedvet.com/product/soda-lime-5-gallon-JOR553B

I then read this:

JorVet soda lime is a high-grade granular product that effectively absorbs carbon dioxide that is produced as an anesthesia by-product.
It is a mixture of calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 also known as lime plus a smaller amount of sodium hydroxide NaOH. Upon exposure to carbon dioxide CO2, the calcium hydroxide converts to calcium carbonate Ca(CO3). This prevents CO2 buildup in a re-breathing circuit.

The sodium hydroxide acts as a catalyst in the process. No potassium hydroxide (KOH) is present in JorVet soda lime; this helps to avoid the formation of toxic compounds such as Compound A and carbon monoxide

Calling all chemist….please pardon if these are dumb questions as I know nothing :

So does a CO2 absorption media absolutely need NaOH or will basic lime work by itself (to a degree) ?
Reason I ask is as it is us fish junkies are getting pimped on this new white powder (1 canister is lasting me about 10-14 days) …7.7lbs cost $35 when smuggled in from the BRS cartel in Minnesota …it almost criminal (pun intended)

Is there is any chance we could take regular ole pickling lime to “cut” CO2 media and give it a higher street value? (last a lil longer)
….I was thinking since the actual real media is granular, I’m wondering if one could use a sponge or similar inside the canister to separate the more powdery lime from the granular stuff, then let the air pass through one and thence the other….or is Pickling lime in powder form basically useless as a CO2 absorption media for air?
Could you mix the two? (CO2 absorption media x Pickling lime) …grasping at straws?

Also ```would this contraption work any better using lye? https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pulling-air-through-saturated-kalk.580645/

1YUZUwwno2uV9RXZ_LjHaTTDYsJ9QL0G_pemABs49yBFuVpoTjtXPiaOiri67uk7SKMiuCsSK1IwDNKIdpLpAwfAIiTbLP-0_fjokxKf-5BqrhoRXyDmsU0E_GpW3l6OWTBBeS2h2fvq54OoabXarJk

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, folks can use lime ( I think @Garf has tried it as a solution) but it is not especially effective as a powder and sodium hydroxide makes the media much better.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, folks can use lime ( I think @Garf has tried it as a solution) but it is not especially effective as a powder and sodium hydroxide makes the media much better.
any possibility for a DIY solution here combining Lime w/ Lye and w/o blowing up homes or damaging our DNA?
BTW I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, still running it. Been going 12 months next week, actually. Works out very cheap if you don’t mind the sound of bubbles and having a massive bubble lamp in the room, with what looks like milk churning away :)

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, still running it. Been going 12 months next week, actually. Works out very cheap if you don’t mind the sound of bubbles and having a massive bubble lamp in the room, with what looks like milk churning away :)
Wait, I tbought someone said it wouldn’t work:
my contraption
You mean it does? You got pictures, results, et et?
Tried it using Lye yet?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I tbought someone said it wouldn’t work:
my contraption
You mean it does? You got pictures, results, et et?
Tried it using Lye yet?
Lol. Sodium hydroxide is quite expensive as my system still operates when it doesn’t need to (to prevent clogging), when the pH is high.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Sodium hydroxide is quite expensive as my system still operates when it doesn’t need to (to prevent clogging), when the pH is high.

I revisited your thread, I assumed that thing petered out, but glad to see it running strong… I just spent a few dollars on a reactor, would be nice to compare notes

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back