Is Polyolefin Aquarium Safe?

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at this polyolefin heat shrink tubing to waterproof a ranco temp probe. Does anyone have input on wether it is aquarium safe?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at this polyolefin heat shrink tubing to waterproof a ranco temp probe. Does anyone have input on wether it is aquarium safe?

Thanks!

I’ve used regular heat shrink tubing on a probe in an octopus tank with no signs of toxicity - but it never worked as well as I hoped, water still got inside eventually. I tried coating the probe in silicone sealant and then shrank the tubing and let the silicone cure, but it still failed after a few months. In the end, we switched to titanium probes.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sundog101

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used regular heat shrink tubing on a probe in an octopus tank with no signs of toxicity - but it never worked as well as I hoped, water still got inside eventually. I tried coating the probe in silicone sealant and then shrank the tubing and let the silicone cure, but it still failed after a few months. In the end, we switched to titanium probes.
Jay
Do you know if titanium probes available for the ranco?

Upvote 0

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

It is what a lot of places use on probes. Mostly resistant, would want to avoid things not found in an aquarium. @Jay Hemdal try the ones that have a adhesive sealant inside already. The sealant used is inert also.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if titanium probes available for the ranco?
I'm not sure, they didn't used to be, thus my needing the heat shrink tubing. I don't use those any more, we went over to a system-wide chiller system in 2015, so I don't have standalone chillers any more, sorry.

Jay

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too think it is safe, but here's a method I used for many years to protect temp probes. Even waterproof ones eventually failed, IMO, when soaked 24/7 for years.

I took a section of tubing just a little larger in internal diameter than the temp probe, and a little over twice as long as I wanted the probe deep in the water.

I sent the probe down to the middle of the tubing, bent the tubing back on itself just past the temp probe, and twist tied it to itself back at the openings.

The probe is now inside a section of plastic tubing, as long as you like, and water cannot get to it, but heat can.

The probe response is a little slower due to the time for heat to penetrate the plastic,. but for an aquarium temp controller, that's no big concern since the temp moves slowly anyway.

Worked perfectly for more than a decade. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sundog101

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too think it is safe, but here's a method I used for many years to protect temp probes. Even waterproof ones eventually failed, IMO, when soaked 24/7 for years.

I took a section of tubing just a little larger in internal diameter than the temp probe, and a little over twice as long as I wanted the probe deep in the water.

I sent the probe down to the middle of the tubing, bent the tubing back on itself just past the temp probe, and twist tied it to itself back at the openings.

The probe is now inside a section of plastic tubing, as long as you like, and water cannot get to it, but heat can.

The probe response is a little slower due to the time for heat to penetrate the plastic,. but for an aquarium temp controller, that's no big concern since the temp moves slowly anyway.

Worked perfectly for more than a decade. :)
Thanks! I may give that a try.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back